Anyone work with The Scouts?...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I recently did a presentation on Homelessness to a group of Scouts and Girl Guides.

Afterwards, the Scout Leader invited me to become an OH (Occasional Helper) and left me the form and some info to mull over.

Anyone here help out at Scouts? What's your involvement/experience been like?

Thanks.

Brains

Legendary Member
Another Scout Leader here.

We need all the OH's we can get, some we see a couple of times each month, others we see only at camps, others come along once or twice a year and do their 'speciality' bit. (We have a sausage maker, a bat box builder, a bike maintenace guy, a fire maker, etc etc who only come along once ot twice a year)

Should be great fun, just make sure you know what it is you can do and how often, as Scouting can turn into a bottomless time pit if not done properly.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 1585125"]
I'm a Scout Leader. We have loads of Occasional Helpers, in all honesty they are group of dads who are quite outdoorsy and they help out on walks, cookouts and navigation exercises etc. We also have a mother who runs a catering business, she comes along and has taught the boys how to make spag bol, apple crumble and fishcakes.

Depending upon the Troop, they may ask quite a bit, which I know in another local Troop has resulted in quite a few OHs leaving!

I'd encourage you to sign up, but make sure they are aware of your limitations. You could always lead a bike ride of course!
[/quote]

The other side is it can become quite infectious. You may fid you start as an OH & end up as a Scout Leader.

I was asked to become an OH and teach First Aid...

Second Week I was there the leader and his wife left as he was Navy and had been crash drafted, so we were left with the Pack of Cubs!

The Scout Association have just awarded me a Service badge for ten years

Only problem is that it should have been awarded in 1992, and my 25 year award in 2007, so he records are not always that good.

Still it is an enjoyable experience and to be recommended

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I started as a helper with Beavers and ended up lasting 3 years doing it as well as helping with cubs. I packed in after my shoulder op.

Our packs do suffer a lack of parent helpers and it falls down onto a small core of folk. It's the Pack's leader that hasn't pushed it enough. I think all parents should at least help once or twice a year.

Top Bottom