Anything Better Than Ksyrium???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve23

i have decided to not go for deep sections after all, and am keen for the Ksyrium wheelset!

but, is there anyhting better for the money?

ie, stiffer, lighter, stronger?

thanks

MichaelM

Guru
I suppose it depends on which model you're looking at and the price you can get them for.

Monkey Boy

I'm in the same boat too Steve. I really fancy some Elites, £280 for Shimano compatible 2007 set on wiggle and sounds like good value. Not sure why the 2008 set are cheaper though? I'm sure someone will enlighten me. I've read some good and bad (more good than bad) but, in typical scientist / engineer mode, I can't make my mind up.

OP
OP
S

steve23

ive heard a few reports of spokes snapping, which concerns me as ive popped three aksium rear wheels.

they just seem a great wheel, and the ES spec. is widly used in the pro ranks, so i believe.

walker

Monkey Boy said:
I'm in the same boat too Steve. I really fancy some Elites, £280 for Shimano compatible 2007 set on wiggle and sounds like good value. Not sure why the 2008 set are cheaper though? I'm sure someone will enlighten me. I've read some good and bad (more good than bad) but, in typical scientist / engineer mode, I can't make my mind up.

I think last years came with a wheel bag/ rim tape/ spoke key etc, this year they don't.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I've just bought some DT Swiss 1450 mon chasseral for £379. very light but I won't use them untill summer.

OP
OP
S

steve23

andy_wrx are you happy with yours?

ive just ordered mine! kysrium ES, the ones with the red spoke!!! i got a good deal too!

stevenb

topcat1 said:
I've just bought some DT Swiss 1450 mon chasseral for £379. very light but I won't use them untill summer.
Im buying a pair of these very soon.:smile:
They look the biz......and they'll be going straight on the bike.
:tongue:

MichaelM

Guru
I've been to the lbs today to price up a wheelbuild:

Hope Pro 3 hub (£135 rear)
Open Pro (£35)
DT Revolution spokes (£20 per wheel)
Wheelbuild ((£30 per wheel)

The Ksyrium Elites suddenly look like a good buy !

steve23 said:
andy_wrx are you happy with yours?

ive just ordered mine! kysrium ES, the ones with the red spoke!!! i got a good deal too!

Well I bought Elites...

Yes, they seem pretty impressive, but I'll admit I've only tried them a couple of times and done 60 miles or so as they're on the summer bike, although I have ridden that more than I expected to in February because it's been so dry the last couple of weekends ;)

MichaelM said:
I've been to the lbs today to price up a wheelbuild:

Hope Pro 3 hub (£135 rear)
Open Pro (£35)
DT Revolution spokes (£20 per wheel)
Wheelbuild ((£30 per wheel)

The Ksyrium Elites suddenly look like a good buy !

Ye-e-ess, but is a K Elite hub the equivalent of a £135 Hope ?

Most people recommending the handbuilt-on-105 route seem to suggest 105's or whatever hubs
- and 105's are £30-ish...

Mortiroloboy

Some of you will be aware that I recently purchased a pair of Campag Zondas, I am more than happy with these, I did also consider a pair of Mavic Kyseriums of a similar spec, as I have had Mavic wheels before, indeed I have Aksiums on my winter bike, in the end I went for the Campags on purely brand/aesthetic grounds, no other reason really. Oh I could have had a really good deal on a pair of Kyserium SL's a few weeks back;), but decided to be principled and pointed out the pricing error to the shop assistant;)

Top Bottom