Anything wrong here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been 'excluded' from bloodbus a while back (and no great loss I have to say), but I do pop my head in from time to time, as a guest) to see if anyone is bad mouthing me. I can across this post:

On sunday there was a bus rally up in blackwood, and a mate of mine was driving a bus out on a run (absolutely packed with passengers - not many of them enthusiasts may I add!). Not long after we set out there was a cyclist out infront of us, he absolutely refused to move - was stuck behind him for almost a quarter of an hour.

He would move out into the middle of the lane, and at some points even the middle of the road to stop us from overtaking.. and there was no way he didn't know we were there - how the hell can you not hear an ailsa.

Surely it wouldn't have caused him any trouble to pull over a little bit to allow us to overtake

Friend of mine was videoing at the time, if you skip to about 4 minutes in you can see some of the stuff he does (willypuller may not want to watch this lol).

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6GSBnMV-Ax4

(feel a bit sad when I look at the related videos bit, where i've got about twenty videos of that bloody bus lol)

So have a look. What do you think? Is this cyclist doing anything wrong? The only thing I would say he does wrong, is he doesn't look behind him enough (specifically when he moves from secondary to primary at the pinch point). I also suppose if I really was holding a bus up for longer than a few minutes I might pull over to let it past, however, looking at the footage the cyclist is moving along a fair pace. What do you think?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
If that was me I would have let the bus past and then drafted it B)

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Nothing wrong apart from being too far into the gutter and, as you say, not really checking behind him often enough (if at all!).

Most of the way he is leaving the bus behind, the only time they're close is when there's double white lines so they shouldn't be thinking about overtaking anyway!!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
A big jessie who would have gone a damn sight faster B) . I was recently battling into a headwind out in the sticks doing about 11 and let a tractor past so I could draft him and then tootled along at 20 for the next 3 miles in relative ease.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Sh4rkyBloke said:
And isn't it illegal to be forward of that line on the bus floor, and talking to the driver?

Tut tut!! :smile:

I'm not sure it is illegal, but that thought did cross my mind! B)

yello

You first see the cyclist at 3:10 into the video but he is some way ahead. The cyclist might have let the bus go at the lights, it's difficult to tell whether the bus had already come past him at that point and he'd gone up the inside. I hope not since there was a left turn and a bus stop after the junction. However, he was away ahead of the bus from the lights.

From there, it's difficult for me to know what else the cyclist could have done. He could have pulled over on a few occasions, but it would have required him to stop completely to allow the bus to pass, so I'm not suggesting he should have. I think the cyclist was completely aware of the bus. Okay, there were no shoulder checks but he did flick a right hand out to indicate the lane change before the roundabout. He was going at a fair pace and I don't think impeded the buses progress significantly; see how much he gained on it through the roundabout and to the junction. I didn't question his lane positioning and I think the driver acted responsibly too. On balance, I'd say near perfect riding.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

yello said:
You first see the cyclist at 3:10 into the video but he is some way ahead. The cyclist might have let the bus go at the lights around, it's difficult to tell whether the bus had already come past him at that point and he'd gone up the inside. I hope not since there was a left turn and a bus stop after the junction. However, he was away ahead of the bus from the lights.

From there, it's difficult for me to know what else the cyclist could have done. He could have pulled over on a few occasions, but it would have required him to stop completely to allow the bus to pass, so I'm not suggesting he should have. I think the cyclist was completely aware of the bus. Okay, there were no shoulder checks but he did flick a right hand out to indicate the lane change before the roundabout. He was going at a fair pace and I don't think impeded the buses progress significantly; see how much he gained on it through the roundabout and to the junction. I didn't question his lane positioning and I think the driver acted responsibly too. On balance, I'd say near perfect riding.

I agree, but if the bus driver is correct and he did hold the bus up for 15 minutes I would have thought, that was excessive. Of course it is possible that the writer could have exaggerated, shock horror :ohmy:

Iceniner

When i first saw that it was a bus around cardiff, i had the horror that it might have been me caught on camera.

I agree the cyclist isnt doing the usual 8mph dash but is moving at a good pace, nothing really untoward in my view.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Nothing wrong with his riding, he has just as much right to use the road as anyone else. I suppose he could have given an clearer signal approaching the RAB, and I would have taken a look just to be sure what the following traffic was up to.

redjedi

Über Member
From that video, the cyclist doesn't do much wrong, and the bus didn't appear to be going much slower anyway.

If the bus really was behind him for 15 mins that he could have let him past, but for some reason I think he was exaggerating.

Know what I’ll be watching if I can’t sleep tonight;) – and they accuse magnatom of being sad for posting his videos!:ohmy:

The inability by some members of bloodbus to share the roads is matched only by the skills of the cameraman – mmm – 6 minutes consisting mainly of the back of the head and shoulders of the steward – fascinating stuff… seems to me the bus was having trouble keeping up with the cyclist…