Aortic valve replacement and bi - pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Have just undergone the above surgery,now 5 days post op.I expect to be discharged in the next two days.
I am due to see my consultant physio etc who will advise me re return to cycling .wondered if any other cvs have undergone this type of surgery and how they returned to cycling.I am72 years of age.

Davidc

Guru
Not quite the same, but I had a coronary artery bypass 5 years ago after a heart attack.

The show stopper over anything physical wasn't the heart part of the surgery it was the aftermath of having been opened up and my sternum (breast bone) cut in two. No lifting for 12 weeks and no cycling for 16 weeks. The longest break from regular cycling I'd had in 47 years!

Because of the lack of exercise it then took me another 12 weeks or so to get back to anything like useful stamina and fitness.

Longer term - in my case all the medical people have been in favour of cycling, as often, as much, and as hard as possible, BUT you really do need to talk to your doctor and consultant about it because the advice they give varies between individuals.

OP
OP
pawl

pawl

Legendary Member
Thanks for your reply.Any periods of extreme dizziness /feinting should be investigated.

I fainted at the start of a climbe inthe lakes in feb a week later I was cycling near my home leaving the village wherei live i had similar symptoms . Went to my G P referred to the rapid assessment unit at Glenfield Hospital result the above op.Life saved

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks for your reply.Any periods of extreme dizziness /feinting should be investigated.

I fainted at the start of a climbe inthe lakes in feb a week later I was cycling near my home leaving the village wherei live i had similar symptoms . Went to my G P referred to the rapid assessment unit at Glenfield Hospital result the above op.Life saved
I'm glad that you are doing well pawl!

Will you be on Warfarin for life now, as many (most/all?) valve-replacement patients are? (I am waiting to speak to my consultant, but it is likely that I will be after my second DVT/Pulmonary embolism in 11 months.) If you are on Warfarin, then this article is well worth reading. I got very mixed advice about vitamin K. One nurse said that I was effectively 'committing suicide' by continuing to eat greens, which is so wrong that it would be funny if it wasn't for the fact that people acting on such poor advice are risking their health!

From what I have read, getting your vitamin K intake right (and that is not zero!) is a way of stabilising your INR, reducing the risk of clotting and bleeding, and protecting you against osteoporosis, atherosclerosis and maybe even diabetes!

Your post has made me think that @BigonaBianchi should consider a check-up, since he was posting elsewhere today about dizziness.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had a bypass in late August last year. Waiting for my sternum to heal was a bit tedious. Coughing was no fun at all, and I felt pretty rough for the first couple of weeks. They told me not to drive or lift anything for six weeks, and that I should stay off the bike for longer. On October 18th, I had an appointment with the cardiologist and asked him if I could get back in the saddle. He said I could ride as far and as fast as I wanted, but that attempting the TdF would probably be unwise. I went for a gentle ride that afternoon. I felt a whole lot fitter than in the months before surgery. It was quite amazing really.

I wish you the very best of luck.

Have just undergone the above surgery,now 5 days post op.I expect to be discharged in the next two days.
I am due to see my consultant physio etc who will advise me re return to cycling .wondered if any other cvs have undergone this type of surgery and how they returned to cycling.I am72 years of age.

WOW! And you were still cycling?! Fair play to you mate. Even better if you actually get back on a bike after making a full recovery. I will be dead by that age!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Your post has made me think that @BigonaBianchi should consider a check-up, since he was posting elsewhere today about dizziness.
...Colin I don't think it's anything sinister with me...but I have made an apt with GP just in case.
Cheers.:smile:
I didn't take my own advice for 3 whole weeks ... I had a worrying near-faint on my bike on May 26th, but didn't go to A&E until June 16th, when tests revealed that I was close to becoming very ill again! :whistle: :blush:

trickletreat

Veteran
pawl, best of luck with a speedy recovery, I will be watching your progress with interest. Three weeks ago I wore bib shorts for the first time, looking to improve comfort as I increased length and intensity of my rides. I have been riding for commuting for a number of years, but having turned fifty decided I needed to get slightly fitter in order to be around for my seven year old.
So after my first ride in the bibs I returned home and gulped down my pint of milk, this lead to a gripping pain in throat and upper chest followed by intense pain between shoulder blades. I had to lie down for an hour before picking my daughter up. I put it down to pressure from the bibs across my shoulders and pushing it a bit on the new bike.
After this ride I went on to complete my first 50miler and then a few days later my first 100km ride. Last week, two weeks after the initial incident I was out on a leisurely ride, although I did manage 41.4mph down a hill towards Redditch on the A435, I stopped for a drink and the same throat/chest pain started. I also experienced the pain between shoulders and pins n needles in my arms and hands. I rode on for a bit through Alcester but the pain got worse, bloody bib shorts was in my head! I stopped in the middle of nowhere and then decided to ride home via Henley in Arden. I realised I couldn't go any further and a WVM came to my help and probably saved my life as well as rescuing my bike.
Blues and two's to hospital, stent fitted and now off to see consultant to arrange triple bypass. All due to previously undiagnosed congenital heart disease.
I suppose part of my reason to post on your thread, apart from wishing you well, is to say don't ignore the signs any of you who ever feel odd when riding, don't blame it on the BIBS!
Nigel

Sara_H

Guru
Get well soon, Pawl.

Can't offer any advice other than listen to the experts and listen to your body!

OP
OP
pawl

pawl

Legendary Member
Thanks for all your good wishes.Just been seen by my consultant discharge today .The valve is biological so will not need warfarin.Mechanical valves need the recpient to be on Wafarin for life due to the valve being more prone to clots.Been advised by the Physio I can use the turbo after
I have completed the walking program eg20 mins twice a day.should be ok to ride on the road in aprox 8 weeks.subject to rehab assesment
I was originally having pains in my left shoulder never associating it with heart problems thought they were a combination of advancing years and muscle strain I would say if you ever have any concerns see your G P dont wait asi did.till you are passing out or feeling feint when under exertion.

I will report back after my first cardio check up.

trickletreat

Veteran
Sounds like good news and progress, and maybe some cooler weather to start your cycling in a couple of months. Keep us posted on your recovery please pawl.
Kind regards
Nigel

Camgreen

I had an aortic valve replacement in 1996, age 34 at the time. Didn't take up cycling until 5 years ago although I've always been active post-op. Have managed a few century rides and will be riding coast to coast in a few weeks. After all this time I still get the occasional twinge in the sternum if I twist too quickly, but otherwise right as rain. The Vitamin K aspect is an interesting point Colin. To be honest I don't give it too much thought (though maybe I should) eat plenty of greens and the occasional dreaded no no (apparently) ... cranberries. I have blood tests regularly enough so for me even a drop of red wine and a slurp of beer isn't off limits.^_^

Davidc

Guru
My only additional comment after reading the posts would be to take chest pains very seriously, not just faints.

I had some the night before the set which made my wife insist on A&E. As it happens it didn't make much difference waiting 12 hours but it could have killed me.

Top Bottom