Apologetic Lothian Bus driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matty

A little apology makes a big difference!

Coming into work this morning I was being overtaken by a Lothian bus. As he was alongside the chap standing at the bus stop sticks his arm up. Bus driver was commited to the overtake, passed me, indicated left and stopped. It wasn't a dangerous carve-up, but it was annoying. I had to slow a bit to look over shoulder and move out to go past him. As passing I got a 'sorry mate' wave from bus driver.

I'll say fair enough and give him the benefit of doubt, he'd probably thought he wasn't stopping when he started the overtake.

p.s. he didn't catch me afterwards!

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
raises the question of why he was overtaking you near one of his designated stops in the first place though.

Jezston

Über Member
Matty said:
p.s. he didn't catch me afterwards!

Aha! The petty satisfaction of beating an engined vehicle despite knowing it has a serious handicap is an acceptable guilty pleasure ;)

taxing

I had a problem with a bus yesterday, and sadly no apology because he probably didn't think he was doing anything wrong. There were two buses behind me, one overtakes me and then pulls in sharply at a bus stop. I look behind to see if I can overtake him but can't really see because I'm on a slight bend and the second bus is blocking my line of sight. Second bus is also indicating to stop, and I don't want to be stuck in between the two buses, so I crane my neck out as far as I can, can't see anything coming and just bolt it. Nothing was coming, so I carry on my merry way until the same bus does the exact same thing AGAIN, and I'm stuck between the two buses!

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
It happens, i'm sure they do their best though. I had another pleasant encounter with the Johnson's X20 this morning in Solihull, patient, courteous, everything you could ask for really.

Ibby22

I'm not the fastest cyclist so if a bus pulls in to a stop for one person I usually wait behind them so I don't do the risky overtaking. Well quite often the Arriva driver gives me a little thank you with the indicators. Always brings a smile to my face and off I go :ohmy:

Ranger

To be fair I very rarely have a problem with Lothian Buses drivers (to the extent I can remember the ONE close pass in 3 years of commuting), I only get concerned when a First or Stagecoach bus comes past.

As an example I can remember (equally as inconsistent) when a Lothian bus stayed behind me when I was going uphill v. slowly as there was a stop in the distance, mind you ever since I always let Lothian Buses out/across when turning right; the rest of the f***ers can wait as a penalty for trying to kill me on a daily basis

OP
OP
M

Matty

AndyCarolan said:
raises the question of why he was overtaking you near one of his designated stops in the first place though.

It does, but he was a 'X' (express service) so limited stop. Matey at the bus stop was ponsing around with his ipod and didn't look like he was wanting the bus to stop!

Ashaman42

Über Member
An apology does make a huge difference. Had a taxi overtake me very closely on the way home yesterday, I wave and gesture but he's off in the distance.

Only I turn down my next road and guess who's stopped up on double yellows and getting out? As I give him a dirty look he says "Sorry mate, didn't mean to cut you up back there."

Didn't really have time to say it was the closeness of the pass that got me not how quickly he pulled back over, it was a quick downhill at this point so all he got was an "Oooooo-okkkkk". Still at least he apologised and hopefully will give a bit more space next time.

Top Bottom