Apologies - Hybrid vs Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cmjones007

Apologies for bringing this up again, but the previous topics on this were a while back from what I saw on searching....

Very close to buying Boardman Performance Hybrid Bike Team - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_502577_langId_-1_categoryId_231001 on the C2W scheme but having last minute thoughts to change to the Boardman Road Bike Comp - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_501991_langId_-1_categoryId_229914

Currently doing 25-30 miles on an old mountain bike without too much trouble and looking to do up to 50 miles at weekends in preparation for a 86 mile ride in the Highlands (road & off road - gravel / stone tracks). As with others, the advice offered by a salesman in Halfords is next to nothing (yes, I too can read the spec on the bike), so I'm just after some general advice.

Hybrid / Road?
Saddle that comes on the bike or upgrade - 6ft / 15 stone?

Cheers,
Chris

domjon

A lot depends on your personal preference for drops or flats doesn't it? If it's any help I've done 50 milers no problem on my boardman hybrid...very comfortable and I'd be happy to do a century on it. If the only reason you're considering the road bike is a concern over the hybrids suitability to long distances then I wouldn't worry about it. Also, I personally wouldnt fancy taking the 23mm tyres on to gravel tracks. The stock saddle is quite good btw.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Given your requirements I'd be quite tempted to go for the Boardman Pro CX cross bike.
A beastie combining (almost) the road friendlyness of the road bike, with slightly wider gearing and more versatility.

Oh, and being a cross bike, it should be ideal for gravel tracks and light x-country trails too.

gavintc

Guru
Kestevan said:
Given your requirements I'd be quite tempted to go for the Boardman Pro CX cross bike.
A beastie combining (almost) the road friendlyness of the road bike, with slightly wider gearing and more versatility.

Oh, and being a cross bike, it should be ideal for gravel tracks and light x-country trails too.

Every bike is a compromise. There is no such thing as the perfect bike. Road bikes are good for roads - fast on good tarmac. Hybrids are really commuters and good around town on roads and the odd path. A Cross bike is good for rough stuff, but does not have the same top speed on roads. You makes your choice.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
True,

But given the state of the roads (at least round here) a x bike can make a damn fine commute bike too. Drops and the ability to stick skinny tyres on make a cross a damn sight more road friendly than most hybrids (in my opinion - but then I'd never want to go back to flat bars on anything other than a full on MB).

But as with most things in life, it comes down to personal preference in the end.
My main reason for recommending the CX was that no-one seems to consider the poor cross bikes.... even halfrauds seems to hide them away, they have nice sections for road, hybrid and mountain but nothing for the poor forgotten cross bikes :tongue:

barnesy

The hybrid has slightly wider tyres which might suit better, also i dont think there is much of a need for drops if its being used for commuting. On my road bike im on the tops or hoods 90% of the time, only use the drops on fast descents, the hybrid will also be a more upright position allowing you to see better in traffic maybe

Norm

Kestevan said:
True,

But given the state of the roads (at least round here) a x bike can make a damn fine commute bike too. Drops and the ability to stick skinny tyres on make a cross a damn sight more road friendly than most hybrids (in my opinion - but then I'd never want to go back to flat bars on anything other than a full on MB).

But as with most things in life, it comes down to personal preference in the end.
My main reason for recommending the CX was that no-one seems to consider the poor cross bikes.... even halfrauds seems to hide them away, they have nice sections for road, hybrid and mountain but nothing for the poor forgotten cross bikes :smile:
My first words when I got into my LBS today were to thank them for getting me to look at a CX bike. Mine is, IMO, a fantastic bike for most of the riding that I do.

Not that I don't love the chance to ride the road bike or the hardtail, but boy, I really appreciate the advantages of the CX.

Mike!

Guru
I'd go either road or crosser to be honest with those kind of mileages.

recently changed from a slicked MTB to a crosser and it's so much faster and now i'm used to the different position i also find it more comfortable...

Top Bottom