App or Website to cover where I've been

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Ok

So having a 15month old has clipped my wings a bit in terms of cycling.

So I've taken to walking, locally with the lad in one of those backpack things. So far we can do about 10 miles with a picnic over some interesting terrain.

Now I'm one of those blokes who is a bit of a collector (I daren't look at the trig point thread - that's for when i retire, with a campervan, with a Ti bike) and I've started off trying to walk as many of the local footpaths as possible. So far Ive been at it about 6 months and am now on first name terms with the local PROW officer - I'm not sure if he thinks I'm a help, a PITA or a fruitcake that it is better to be on good terms with. Anyways...

I'm looking for a website or an app that will hopefully show the local footpaths (from OS) and overlay them in red or something when I add a GPS track that covers them. A bit like a STRAVA heatmap but with only one line.

Currently I'm drawing in pen on a paper map and thats just not satisfying me.

Any ideas?

Venod

Eh up

classic33

Leg End Member
Remember the disclaimer on most UK maps. "The evidence of a footpath or track, is no evidence of a right of way"

Best place should be your local council offices, where a complete, up to date, list of publc rights of should be kept.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru

Thanks I'll have a look

Remember the disclaimer on most UK maps. "The evidence of a footpath or track, is no evidence of a right of way"
Best place should be your local council offices, where a complete, up to date, list of publc rights of should be kept.

Its not so much the map I am after, moreso a away of marking them off.
I've discovered several errors which the LA of course blame OS for. Infairness to OS they always take corrections in good grace.

If you want to go an inspect the definitve maps you usually have to do it in person. But many local authorities have a good rendition on their website often squirrelled away, but can often be found using

http://maps.LATLDNAME.gov.uk i.e. http://maps.bury.gov.uk

Some of the them have all sorts of interesting layers you can add. They are usually slooooowwww.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
There should be a description of the PROW, heading, any obstructions(stile/gate), with each numbered.

Use that list.

Drago

Legendary Member
MapYX Quo. Hideously expensive, not available as an all for phones, but in terms of functionality there's none better. Thqrs what MREW and Lowland Rescue use for planning and search management.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
gpxeditor.co.uk includes 1:50k OS mapping and you can upload tracks. I have a subscription to OS which gives me access to 1:25k mapping. Their gpx routing is superb (locks on to any path/track/lane). You can also upload tracks.

D

Deleted member 23692

Mapyx Quo is free to download, and after that you just buy the map tiles you need as and when you need them. They frequently have sales and I picked up the whole country on 1:25k for about £120 a couple of years ago. Quite a lot of OS data was made FOC a few years ago but you'll still need to buy the 1:50 and 1:25k series. The one licence works for up to 5 devices.

If you have an android or apple device you can share your maps and routes to that via their mobile app ...MX Mobile. It's not as fully featured as I'd like but it lets you have OS maps offline in your hand and you can follow or track routes as you go, which is all I want.

It'll sync with just about any GPS device and read/translate/write to a myriad of gps file formats. As someone who uses industry standard GIS programs professionally on a daily basis, I'm always impressed how powerful Quo is, and frequently resort to using it to fill in the gaps where the big boys let me down.

I've also used/owned Memory Map in the past and Quo is far superior IMO

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
OS maps lets you record a route as you walk. Premium maps costs £25 pa. Brilliantly accurate, clear etc, so long as you have signal

Top Bottom