App writing... Does anyone do this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Funnily enough I was reading about Moore's law earlier for a blog piece I'm writing.... Computer speed increments are slowing down... But still moving forward at quite pace
Memory is the one that gets me. When I started my company back in 1987, we got one of the first hard drives - it was 250Mb, and cost £250. 250Mb might not siund much, but the floppies we worked on held a maximum of 700Kb, so we thought 250Mb was just amazing. I just got a few stocking-filler memory sticks in the post today - 8Gb apiece, for £2.02, including delivery. That's 32x the capacity, for less than 1/100 the cost.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Memory is the one that gets me. When I started my company back in 1987, we got one of the first hard drives - it was 250Mb, and cost £250. 250Mb might not siund much, but the floppies we worked on held a maximum of 700Kb, so we thought 250Mb was just amazing. I just got a few stocking-filler memory sticks in the post today - 8Gb apiece, for £2.02, including delivery. That's 32x the capacity, for less than 1/100 the cost.
Our computer room at school had a Winchester hard drive in it which all the computers used to share :eek:..... I think I'll write that blog piece about smartphones v vintage super computers instead of 'apping' tonight

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I've tried writing Android stuff before, and found it a nightmare. Too many versions, and Eclipse is an awful IDE compared to Visual Studio or Qt. At the time, I couldn't get my head around apps being forcibly shut down, having come from Symbian, where the multitasking was better.

Top Bottom