App writing... Does anyone do this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I class myself as a reasonably intelligent and tech savvie person, however......

I've downloaded the official Android developer app, watched numerous You tube videos, read articles (all seemingly by smart a***s who say its dead easy....) and its all going so far above my head its in danger of colliding with Tim in the international space station.....

Years ago I was reasonably adept at Basic and 30 years on I reckon I could still write the 'App' thats going round my head in Basic.....

But Android code I ain't got a scooby doo.....:wacko: after three hours of :banghead: I've managed to create an empty app with the right name

Anyone help with some one or two syllable pointers to help me..... and is Android developer the best one to use?

The app is a simple number crunching app using data inputted by the user

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
https://www.codecademy.com/

It is well worth a look.

OP
OP
simon the viking
[QUOTE 4060352, member: 259"]Can you not get a sociopathic teenager to do it for you?[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid not don't know any who code... this would have been my first route offering them a cut of sales (if it ever got to google play)

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Android apps are coded in Java so knowing Java is probably your first step

A good beginner Java course is here, its £48 quid but they have offers where the price can drop to £10 if you wait long enough. There is an advance course too

If you want to jump straight into it you could try this course, its free but they assume you have a basic knowledge of Java.

You can code with notepad and console but if by official app you mean Android Studio then its not too shabby for free and better than the previous program.

OP
OP
simon the viking
It's a lucrative game, if you can get your head around the coding.
I suppose I'm trying to get my head round it too quickly... 'Basic' I was learning at school and spending time at home on the 'Speccie' (showing my age there....) I think I need to accept its a long learning curve and my O level in Computer Science is now totally obsolete

It's hard to make much money from Android apps, the users are unwilling to pay for anything (I would be one of those :-), but you can make money if you code for those Apple iShiny-device-thingies. It still takes a lot of time and effort though.

It's probably best to use Android Studio and follow through some of the simple Google stuff first:
http://developer.android.com/training/basics/firstapp/index.html

The way to make money is an app that has extras. Free to download and use but either limited functionality or purchased addons. The games that make the most money are all free....until you buy in-app purchases.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Thanks folks for input so far I'll have a p[roper look at all the links when I get home, but what Ive read on some of the links so far are certainly more user friendly than what I'd found previously

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am multitasking ... catching up on today's CycleChatting and (by coincidence) simultaneously watching video #31 of 77 on YouTube of Android Development for Beginners by thenewboston. The videos are quite good but the geek explaining how things work keeps burping, which is a bit annoying ... (Why go to the trouble of producing really good tutorials and then not fade out your belches!)

I thought that the 'Smart' part of my new Smart TV would get little use but watching Full HD YouTube videos on the 40 inch TV is actually much better than trying to watch them on my lower resolution 12 inch laptop screen.

There is a lot to take in and my Java skills are not brilliant so I think some hard work will be required to get up to speed in the NY.

I suppose I'm trying to get my head round it too quickly... 'Basic' I was learning at school and spending time at home on the 'Speccie' (showing my age there....) I think I need to accept its a long learning curve and my O level in Computer Science is now totally obsolete
The Spectrum, and BBC B et.al. are museum pieces now. Tech tends to leap ahead, a 'generation' in tech, is about 3 years now:eek:

OP
OP
simon the viking
The Spectrum, and BBC B et.al. are museum pieces now. Tech tends to leap ahead, a 'generation' in tech, is about 3 years now:eek:
Funnily enough I was reading about Moore's law earlier for a blog piece I'm writing.... Computer speed increments are slowing down... But still moving forward at quite pace

Top Bottom