App

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am on Android 12 don't know if that makes a difference.

I've got it on android 12
Screenshot_20220921-154701_Settings.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

Well...
1) Samsung Galaxy S7 = my main phone, app still present from transfer from...
2) Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, previous main phone that died. Repaired, now running Android 11+ as a Google Pixel 5. Tried everything suggested here, no joy at all. This was what prompted the thread.
3) Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo running LineageOS 15, Android 8.1. Went to Cyclechat using Chrome, logged in. Dropped the three dot menu at top right, lo and behold, Add to Home Screen. Tap. "Installing App". And sure enough, there it is.

I'm assuming the version of Chrome on the Samsung Pixel...wait one...I've just realised that on this device, Chrome actually says, "Install App" instead of Add to Home Screen! So I have !
So mystery solved so far as I am concerned, all Galaxies have the App!

Yet on my phone and tablet install app from the three dots just adds a shortcut to cyclechat to the home screen it doesn't install an app, if I check my installed apps list there is no app installed, if you go into the playstore theres no app, a mod, @Pat "5mph", has said theres no app so why are some people finding an app to install? This is whats causing the confusion. :wacko:

Yet on my phone and tablet install app from the three dots just adds a shortcut to cyclechat to the home screen it doesn't install an app, if I check my installed apps list there is no app installed, if you go into the playstore theres no app, a mod, @Pat "5mph", has said theres no app so why are some people finding an app to install? This is whats causing the confusion. :wacko:
Quite agree. When first installed by me, it did indeed show up on Google Play Store. Can only assume it being done differently now to reduce cost. Maybe.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hello all ^_^
It seems I was wrong, there is an app.
I have downloaded it on Crome, on Android 11, using the "hamburger" menu on the right of the home page, without being logged in.
I'll play about with the app, normally I use my laptop for CC.
The CC app is not on Google play, but under its settings it says downloaded from Google play :wacko:
We need @Shaun to enlighten us further!

classic33

Leg End Member
There's a pop-up that shows everysooften at the foot of the screen when on a handset.

I've the app for a while now, but it doesn't show in the list of installed apps.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hello all ^_^
It seems I was wrong, there is an app.
I have downloaded it on Crome, on Android 11, using the "hamburger" menu on the right of the home page, without being logged in.
I'll play about with the app, normally I use my laptop for CC.
The CC app is not on Google play, but under its settings it says downloaded from Google play :wacko:
We need @Shaun to enlighten us further!

There is no option to install an app.

Screenshot_20220921-222135_Chrome.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
Don't have that option either.

PaulSB did - it was on his screenshot.

I also at one point had that same box saying "Add to Home Screen".

classic33

Leg End Member
PaulSB did - it was on his screenshot.

I also at one point had that same box saying "Add to Home Screen".
Someone else may have done, I simply said I don't have that option either.

" That option" being the one you said replaces install app.

The app is on this handset, not showing in the list of any installed apps, but accessed by a piece on the home screen.

D

Deleted member 1258

Someone else may have done, I simply said I don't have that option either.

" That option" being the one you said replaces install app.

The app is on this handset, not showing in the list of any installed apps, but accessed by a piece on the home screen.

The same as mine if I tap install app on the drop down menu, its on the home screen but not in the installed apps list, for now I'm just accessing cyclechat from my browser.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That is because you already have it installed.

Once installed, "Install App" gets replaced with "Open Cyclechat".

I believe you are both right and wrong with this comment and it's the nub of the discussion. I sort of agree and disagree with you. Let me explain.

To me an app is a small programme or piece of software which can be downloaded and installed from the Google Play Store for, like me, Android users. When one does this one can view the installation progress just as one does with PC or laptop programmes. I have never encountered an app available in any other form and never found an app of this type for CycleChat. In my view there is no app and I have not installed it. I did this with a forum I helped run as Admin and we categorically didn't have an app and still doesn't today.

BUT!!!!!

Perhaps 10 years ago I became tired of typing web addresses for forums I visit in to a browser. What I did then and still do to this day is add a short cut to my Home page. This can be done for any website on a phone/tablet by clicking the three dots top right and then "Add to Home Page/Screen" see BBC examples below. This adds a shortcut to the website but it does not install an app and is not an app.

Of course there is one person who can truly answer this debate and he's probably quietly smiling to himself every time the subject is raised.

Before doing "Add to Home"

Screenshot_20220922-071439_Chrome.jpg

After doing "Add to Home"

Screenshot_20220922-071729_Chrome.jpg

The short cut this adds

Screenshot_20220922_071654.jpg

Images of actual BBC apps in Play Store. Very different.

Screenshot_20220922-072016_Google Play Store.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I believe you are both right and wrong with this comment and it's the nub of the discussion. I sort of agree and disagree with you. Let me explain.

To me an app is a small programme or piece of software which can be downloaded and installed from the Google Play Store for, like me, Android users. When one does this one can view the installation progress just as one does with PC or laptop programmes. I have never encountered an app available in any other form and never found an app of this type for CycleChat. In my view there is no app and I have not installed it. I did this with a forum I helped run as Admin and we categorically didn't have an app and still doesn't today.

BUT!!!!!

Perhaps 10 years ago I became tired of typing web addresses for forums I visit in to a browser. What I did then and still do to this day is add a short cut to my Home page. This can be done for any website on a phone/tablet by clicking the three dots top right and then "Add to Home Page/Screen" see BBC examples below. This adds a shortcut to the website but it does not install an app and is not an app.

Of course there is one person who can truly answer this debate and he's probably quietly smiling to himself every time the subject is raised.

Before doing "Add to Home"

View attachment 661973

View attachment 661973

After doing "Add to Home"

View attachment 661974

View attachment 661974

The short cut this adds

View attachment 661975
Images of actual BBC apps in Play Store. Very different.

View attachment 661976

View attachment 661976

What I originally did was make cyclechat the home screen for the browser, that way its there when I open the browser no typing web addresses.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well, I am accessing CC from the (alleged hehe) app, that shows on my app list too.
The only one who can tell us for sure if it's an app is @Shaun
It seems to work fine, but my laptop screen is more suited to my modes duties.
Have a great day all!

Top Bottom