Apple AirPods Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I am looking for a pair of decent, truly wireless earbud earphones.

Experience: I use the wired Apple earbuds which I find very comfortable.

Use: Gardening whilst strimming and mowing so I’ll be wearing ear defenders; bike trainer and cycling (without sparking a safety debate, my wired earbuds make it entirely possible to be aware of your environment and I normally only use them on traffic free routes)

I think I read @User uses these, so your input would be gratefully received.

If anyone thinks I should be considering other options please say so. I love Sennheiser but I don’t like any of their wireless options.

Thank you.

cheys03

Veteran
I truly love the Apple AirPods. I’ve had them for about 8 months and they are really motivating, bizarrely when cleaning the house and other chores like the gardening!! With a TV or radio on, as you move between rooms you lose the sound and I listen to a lot of podcasts. You could use standard headphone but the cable is always getting in the way or tugging at your ears.
They are light and totally liberating being wireless. I have ridden with just one in and it’s ok but not really to my liking as with wind noise the podcasts can be hard to hear. Music is fine though and requires less concentration.
Overall, buy a pair! If you don’t like them they do sell well 2nd hand, hygiene is not and issue for the buyers apparently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Thank y’all for the comments. On Sunday I went to the Bristol Apple store and was almost hosted by one of their geniuses. The guy was really knowledgeable and brought out all the earphones I had an interest in. The Jaybird Freedom 2 was quickly put back in the box being very disappointing. A close second was the Beats X. Very nice and one to remember for the future. But by a tiny margin I went for the Apple AirPods. I have used them for 4 days and I have got to say I think it is a purchase worth noting. They really are a very useful gadget and tick all the boxes in my OP upthread. They will definitely go on any tours with me. Delighted. Utterly delighted.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Probably because they're designed for Apple products and operating systems. They're clearly not marketed by Apple as being compatible with other operating systems/devices.

Actually they are - they supposedly support the bluetooth 4.0 standard. However, they don't do it very well, pairing issues being the most common problems. Clearly they have cool features that work on iDevices (with W1 chipset) that go far and above normal ear buds, but the basic bluetooth implementation is flawed. They were great on my iPhone and iPad, but despite claiming to be bluetooth compatible have some real quirks.

Drago

Legendary Member
Being a 6'4" 250lb big kid, I can't help but giggle stupidly at the mention of anything called "pod".

Milkfloat

An Peanut
They're not marketed as being compatible with other operating systems or devices. Apple are very clear around system requirements and compatibility:

View attachment 415207 View attachment 415208

I've had no Bluetooth issues with my AirPods - nor has Mr R or anyone else I know with them. It is absolutely seamless.

Yes they are, they claim bluetooth 4.0, that is a standard and therefore should work with with other compatible devices. Ok, you don’t get the sycn’ed pairing, auto on/off etc, but basic Bluetooth pairing and playback should work. In most cases it does work, but not all.

giggle stupidly at the mention of anything called "pod".
And I have no idea why :wacko:

plus they don't make you look like you've got snot dripping out of your ears
The design of the ear pods is a bit disappointing It's like someone in marketing was playing around with the concept, and cut the cable of a pair of headphones and somehow they got delivered to manufacturing as a prototype.

Top Bottom