Apple bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wisdom

Guru
Another bike shop closing is Apple bikes in St.Annes.
I have bought 2 new from there,as has my son most of my clothing,parts and luggage also came from them.Always top class service.
Mike Gadd was their mechanic.Wizard wheelbuilder and top tim trialist a few years ago.
A real shame.non really left around here.

What has gone wrong?
Bike shops are almost a licence to print money at present.
No business rates so vastly reduced overheads.
Maybe no new bikes, but lots and lots of running repairs. Stories abound on delays for even routine work all over the country.
Almost sounds like mismanagement.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
What has gone wrong?
Bike shops are almost a licence to print money at present.
No business rates so vastly reduced overheads.
Maybe no new bikes, but lots and lots of running repairs. Stories abound on delays for even routine work all over the country.
Almost sounds like mismanagement.
There is very little profit on new bikes, the shops have to rely on components and clothing to make their money. At the moment they can't get parts and any competent cyclist can buy online anyway at half the price in some cases and fit themselves. Then you get the people who will ty clothing and shoes in the shop for size and go away and order from an online retailer.

As for repairs, have you seen the outrage on this forum when someone gets charged more than the price of a cup of coffee for having something replaced or repaired by their LBS? In many instances the same people who will happily pay their car dealer £150 for an oil and filter change.

It is a wonder any local bike shops survive at all.

stephec

Legendary Member
There is very little profit on new bikes, the shops have to rely on components and clothing to make their money. At the moment they can't get parts and any competent cyclist can buy online anyway at half the price in some cases and fit themselves. Then you get the people who will ty clothing and shoes in the shop for size and go away and order from an online retailer.

As for repairs, have you seen the outrage on this forum when someone gets charged more than the price of a cup of coffee for having something replaced or repaired by their LBS? In many instances the same people who will happily pay their car dealer £150 for an oil and filter change.

It is a wonder any local bike shops survive at all.

That really boils my piss, they should all be shot.

You see something similar on running forums where new runners are advised to go to a shop for a free gait analysis, which can often take at least half an hour by the time you've tried a few pairs, then buy the shoes from a discount website, don't start crying when the day comes that there are no shops left to take advantage of.

When I took me little girl to be fitted for a pair we went to a shop that charged £25 for the service which was then knocked off the price of the shoes, that's the way to do it.

OP
OP
wisdom

wisdom

Guru
I always supported local shops.Yes on line has its place but we are now paying the price.
There is no substitute for looking for a part,comparing it and walking out of the shop with the right item.
No send it back at a cost when you have paid postage for it to come to you.Just factor this into the cost,time back and forwards to the post office.Maybe no cheaper in the long run.

Top Bottom