Apple Laptop for college

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Daughter will be starting college in September and wants a Apple laptop/tablet ? Kids and Apple ! I'm not buying new I don't think...too expensive.So anything to avoid ? Or is there a reputable second hand market for this.We have a decent laptop,but she wants her own :rolleyes:
Thanks for any pointers

I fully support buying an apple or a second hand one or a even refurbished one from the Apple store. The primary reason is the security against malware and she does not lose her work.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
I fully support buying an apple or a second hand one or a even refurbished one from the Apple store. The primary reason is the security against malware and she does not lose her work.
Do you mean the official Apple store ? If so any clue what I should look for ?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
If you have an acquaintance/relation who is a teacher, you may be able to get a substantial reduction, via Apple's Educational Discount scheme. They may have some discount for students too, worth a visit to an Apple Store, and/or their website to see what is available.

I assume you will be looking for a laptop, rather than a desktop? I have a MacBook Pro (my second one), very happy with it, one niggle, they do not have USB socket(s), so, you will almost certainly need to buy a suitable connector (I bought mine from EBay, not expensive).

Last edited:
Just some additional pointers ;

Students tend to go for the Apple Pro 13.3 model, retails for £1,299. It is portable, light and has long battery life for a student day - up to 20hrs. Plenty of juice even though its the entry level for the laptop series. If you go for refurbished or second hand, make sure its the M1 chip. This is landmark change as some newer apple apps can't run without it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not going to get into the whole apple vs other debate i was just wondering whats the differenace in praticality for course work between an apple and a chrome book ?
I wouldnt be able to afford an apple by the sound of it anyway

Any laptop with Google drive set up. Save your documents to the drive in the cloud and doesn't matter if your laptop is nicked or eaten by the dog. Your docs are still there.

I'd seriously be looking at Chromebooks for my next laptop.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Just some additional pointers ;

Students tend to go for the Apple Pro 13.3 model, retails for £1,299. It is portable, light and has long battery life for a student day - up to 20hrs. Plenty of juice even though its the entry level for the laptop series. If you go for refurbished or second hand, make sure its the M1 chip. This is landmark change as some newer apple apps can't run without it.
Wow...didn't realize they were that expensive !

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Not going to get into the whole apple vs other debate i was just wondering whats the differenace in praticality for course work between an apple and a chrome book ?
I wouldnt be able to afford an apple by the sound of it anyway
Teenagers ! Got her a Harry Styles CD for passing her exams...somehow it just didn't do it :laugh:

Tenkaykev

Guru
I’m in my 70’s and still registered with the O.U. though I’m not currently studying any modules. I’m still able to get educational discount although I’m not able to log into the Apple store for Education with a dot ed dot uk email address.
I currently have a MacBook Air with the Apple M1 processor. Totally silent and an outstanding battery life.
It pays to look at the Apple refurb store, the stock is constantly changing and the machines are indistinguishable from new with full warranty.

Top Bottom