Apple Laptop for college

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
My daughter is starting at Uni is September, she has been using a Chromebook for a few years now, and will be getting a new one for Uni. £300 for a 15" screen and all in the cloud.

Apple is the lifestyle though! Good luck not paying £900ish on an iMac :eek:
To be fair to my daughter...16 on Monday ! She has a job,said she'll pay for some of it herself lol ! Let's see that materialize.Im so against Apple,but there again I'm 53 and tight :rolleyes:

bruce1530

Guru
Advice to all budding students - and parents thereof - from someone who runs a University IT department. Don't spend any money on software until you find out what your University will provide for free.

At our place, we make available all sorts of software - eg all students can download full versions of MS Office onto up to 5 devices. We do tell the students this before they arrive, but it's sad seeing how many have shelled out for copies before arriving.

AndyRM

XOXO
We got son #2 a £400 HP laptop for university and it was plenty. Unless she has very exacting technical requirements on her course a £1300 laptop is not necessary

This. If you're using it for word processing/the internet there's really no need for a Mac. Sure, they look lovely and have a more intuitive operating system (IMO), but you can still run Adobe CC (for example) with no issues on a well specced PC.

Top Bottom