Apple Maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sight-pin

Veteran
Just noticed a Apple Maps van with all the cameras on driving around here, are they getting ready for 'street view' with iphone?

Drago

Legendary Member
A decade late, but moving fast.

I thought Apple were supposed to be all about innovation, but lately all the seem to do is copy everyone else. Let's just hope they do a better job that with their home smart speaker.

Last edited:

J1888

Über Member
A decade late, but moving fast.

I thought Apple were supposed to be all about innovation, but lately all the seem to do is copy everyone else. Let's just hope they do a better job that with their home smart speaker.

I think their success has normally been built on taking existing technology and bettering it. Smartphones, tablet computers etc all existed prior to Apple’s involvement, but they made a well designed version. Same with iPod etc. With their maps and Siri though, they’ve neglected the technology and are now investing heavily in both to make ground back in Google (maps and google assistant) and Amazon (Alexa)

My tuppence worth anyway

Alan O

Über Member
I think their success has normally been built on taking existing technology and bettering it. Smartphones, tablet computers etc all existed prior to Apple’s involvement, but they made a well designed version. Same with iPod etc. With their maps and Siri though, they’ve neglected the technology and are now investing heavily in both to make ground back in Google (maps and google assistant) and Amazon (Alexa)

My tuppence worth anyway
I think that's a fair assessment.

But Apple did poison their maps business themselves by releasing woefully incompetent early versions, which is very much unlike Apple - what they're usually very good at is making first releases of new products go with a Wow. I remember one of their howlers that was widely shared was a route between two places a couple of hundred miles apart in the UK (I can't remember the places but I remember trying it for myself) and the recommended route went via several ferries and around Scandinavia.

Top Bottom