Appleby In Westmorland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Just back from a weeks stay at the above I was somewhat disappointed with Appleby it looked rather uncared for.The accommodation was first rate called the Pump House situated on the banks of theRiver Eden.I was expecting a small picturesque town.It is situated ideally for trips to the Yorkshire Dales theL Lakes and the Howgills

Globalti

Legendary Member
It has some historic buildings but like every other provincial British town it is blighted by lack of jobs, an elderly population living in cold, damp, expensive to heat and decaying old houses, and of course the annual Traveller invasion, which must put people off investing in the town.

OP
OP
pawl

pawl

Legendary Member
I understand that Appleby was the county town of Westmorland.but is now part of Cumbria.I did wonder if it’s current state is due i part that it is now governed by Cumbria

Approximately twelve miles away is Penrith we’re there Is a new development of shops and supermarket. and the town seems to be thriving.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Penrith we’re there Is a new development of shops and supermarket. and the town seems to be thriving.
I visited Penrith a few weeks ago because my partner is from near there (Hackthorpe). The new development in the centre is not thriving at all, no-one can afford the rent. Most shops are empty apart from Sports Soccer. The town itself does seem ok; the traffic was hideous the whole time I was there.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
You should have visited High Cup Nick:
highcupnick-30819i.jpg

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
You can just imagine a glacier crawling down there!

Faces almost due west so should get nice sunsets!. Note the 'capping' of the Whin Sill with columnar jointing:okay:. And the scree slopes are pretty spectacular too.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have a very nice bike trip that goes right past where that picture was taken, over via the PW to Cow Green reservoir then back up to Great Dun Fell, finishing down the private access road, which gets 11/10 in the book of great road climbs.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Good location for riding in the Eden valley. I stayed in a very nice B and B on the way to Scotland, something like 18 Boroughgate. Restaurants were a bit limited, I recall a solid meal in a pub. Had a nice 40 mile loop around there last month.

Top Bottom