Awesome Climb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just been up Great Dun Fell what a fantastic climb that is.
If you haven't been up give it a go.
I saw the thread title and my first thought was 'I bet he has done something fairly straightforward like a 2 km climb at 6% - he needs to give something epic like Great Dun Fell a go' ... Ha ha, how wrong was I - well done! :okay:

I haven't done it yet but I have recently been plotting routes to take in GDF, Hartside and Yad Moss. It is a bit out of the way from here but I want to do it before I get much older.

iggibizzle

It's great. Best to check the weather beforehand if you are thinking of it. When I went up in summer, it was a nice summers day. Bloody freezing with howling winds at the top.

OP
OP
B

bondirob

I saw the thread title and my first thought was 'I bet he has done something fairly straightforward like a 2 km climb at 6% - he needs to give something epic like Great Dun Fell a go' ... Ha ha, how wrong was I - well done! :okay:

I haven't done it yet but I have recently been plotting routes to take in GDF, Hartside and Yad Moss. It is a bit out of the way from here but I want to do it before I get much older.

Thanks Colin, Can't believe I'd not heard of it sooner.
I'm at Centerparcs and its only a few miles away so I had to see if I could do it

OP
OP
B

bondirob

It was quite windy up top but I suspect it could've been much worse.
Luckily its a clear day and I got some great photos

ColinJ

Have you got Strava?
They're on there
Nope, but is there a public link?

ColinJ

Some of the gradient data on that video was very wrong! There were times when the rider had slowed right down and it said -20+%. At other times, he was doing well over 40 mph and it said a couple of %.

I'll organise a forum ride up there one day when I can sort the logistics out.

Oh, I just checked - I still have my provisional loop loaded into my mapping software ...

(Start and finish in Appleby, clockwise.)

Great Dun Fell loop.gif

Profile:
Great Dun Fell loop elevation profile.gif

That is a BIG climb by UK standards!

Top Bottom