Awesome Climb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Interesting that it's well-made asphalt.

As the uphill guy says, looking at the map you might expect a farm track.

The gate could be a problem.

It's probably on a flattish bit, but if it isn't, getting restarted afterwards might defeat me, even on the ebike.

OP
OP
B

bondirob

You are not looking at the same OS map as me then! :laugh:

7.53 km at an average of 9.8% is pretty damn hard! There are some easier sections, which leaves some hard sections to bring the average back up. The section from 5 km to 6 km ascends 180 m - 18%!

The bit after the first gate is hard but not as bad as the one after the downhill section.

OP
OP
B

bondirob

Interesting that it's well-made asphalt.

As the uphill guy says, looking at the map you might expect a farm track.

The gate could be a problem.

It's probably on a flattish bit, but if it isn't, getting restarted afterwards might defeat me, even on the ebike.

The bit after the gate is steep but I managed to plod up it without too much bother

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
As said, you've done very well.

@Supersuperleeds might be being too modest, but I reckon that climb would defeat many cyclists, even strong ones.

I'd be interested to see a couple of the pros tackle it.

The guy with the fastest Strava time up there is a JLT Condor pro. He's about 25 minutes. No doubt a World Tour climber would be faster. The fastest is about 17km/hr which is seriously fast for that gradient. I would struggle to maintain more than 10 (I do about 12km/hr on the Snake which is also long but about 7%)

iggibizzle

The guy with the fastest Strava time up there is a JLT Condor pro. He's about 25 minutes. No doubt a World Tour climber would be faster. The fastest is about 17km/hr which is seriously fast for that gradient. I would struggle to maintain more than 10 (I do about 12km/hr on the Snake which is also long but about 7%)

Gullen? He's a beast on climbs and in tt's. I think he's got hardknott too which he did after a night on the beer according to his strava if I remember.. He's in the same hilly tt as me on Sunday. He'l probs take half an hour out of me :-D but yes I recon a world class climber could take a few mins off his Dunn Fell.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Strange thing, the human mind ... :whistle:

I was out on my bike this afternoon riding up a short stretch of 18% and contemplating doing 1 km of it in the middle of the GDF climb, when I suddenly thought "No, I've made a mistake calculating the average gradient!" I had taken 210 metres from 845 metres and got 735 metres. Doing the calculation properly gives a difference of 635 metres and an average gradient of 8.4%. Still pretty tough though!

I currently seem to climb at about 10 metres a minute on moderately steep climbs. If I could cope with GDF then I might go slightly quicker than that because there wouldn't be so much road to cover. In theory then it would take me about an hour but I think my back wouldn't be able to take that much sustained climbing so I would have to get off and stretch a few times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bondirob

Strange thing, the human mind ... :whistle:

I was out on my bike this afternoon riding up a short stretch of 18% and contemplating doing 1 km of it in the middle of the GDF climb, when I suddenly thought "No, I've made a mistake calculating the average gradient!" I had taken 210 metres from 845 metres and got 735 metres. Doing the calculation properly gives a difference of 635 metres and an average gradient of 8.4%. Still pretty tough though!

I currently seem to climb at about 10 metres a minute on moderately steep climbs. If I could cope with GDF then I might go slightly quicker than that because there wouldn't be so much road to cover. In theory then it would take me about an hour but I think my back wouldn't be able to take that much sustained climbing so I would have to get off and stretch a few times.

I find average gradient a bit misleading when quoted on climbs.
If it was 8.4% constant it wouldn't have been a problem.

iggibizzle

couple from when I did it. Very windy at the top. You can see the tough stretch snaking off after the flat bit on the bottom pic

Attachments

• IMG_9276.JPG
    IMG_9276.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9278.JPG
    IMG_9278.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 26

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hmm...some tough sections 13-15% which is getting to my limit of what I can climb for longer stretches. I guess its one saving grace is it's a NE direction climb so you're in with a decent chance of a tailwind

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've climbed it on a mountain bike but that was just a question of sitting twiddling in a tiny granny ring. I've also descended it at least twice, again on mountain bikes so I'm also planning to climb it this summer on my best road bike, which has 34-28.

Top Bottom