Apps or Data Computer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kwacka

Über Member
I am really new to road riding and wondered which of the above is best?

I am currently using an app called Cycle Watch which I start when I leave but twice now it has failed to log the information, yesterday was particularly annoying as I broke the 20 mile mark for the second time and was looking forward to comparing the data.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have an iPhone but don't use apps for cycling. Battery drains and I don't fancy mounting it to my bars just incase it comes off. Cheapo cycle computer or ideally a GPS unit are winners, for me.

Somebody else will be along shortly to poo-poo my theory and big up Endomondo or something :whistle:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
As I'm always going to carry my iPhone anyway, I bought a wahoo kit for it so it'll talk to all the ant+ sensors. Cyclemeter is really second to none IMO. For the long rides without tHe need for gps I just stick it into airplane mode which turns it into a computer. I'll get 7hrs out of it that way. For days with gps ill just turn off wifi and I can get 4ish hours if I lock the screen and use it to check direction occasionally. You can also get an aux battery for the wahoo kit that gives about an extra 5 hours.

I didn't see the point in a proper computer when I would have the phone anyway.

heppy

Regular
I use both, iPhone with Cyclemeter in my jersey/gilet pocket and cycle computer on the bike. Cyclemeter gives great ride info and the computer gives instant data such as speed, distance etc.

Have considered mounting the iPhone to the bike but haven't found a decent attachment yet....

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I use both, iPhone with Cyclemeter in my jersey/gilet pocket and cycle computer on the bike. Cyclemeter gives great ride info and the computer gives instant data such as speed, distance etc.

Have considered mounting the iPhone to the bike but haven't found a decent attachment yet....

http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products/Wahoo-Fitness-Wahoo-Bike-Pack-for-iPhone.asp

Shop around though. I got the kit and kaboodle on eBay for £98

Airplane mode stops it transmitting, it won't turn off the gps receiver.

It does

How does it calculate speed and distance if you put it in airplane mode though?

By reading the ant+ sensors on the bike

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
As has already been said, theres no reason not to use both, but I suppose its dependent on what it is you want.

If you want instant feedback on speed, avg speed, distance or whatever, then a cycle computer on the handlebars is the best - and safest way - of doing it I suppose. Easy mountable, and its just there at a glance whenever you may want that information.

If you want to 'track' more information, and log it for future back-reference, use an App especially if the strong likelihood is that you will carry your phone anyway. You wont be using it for much else whilst you are peddle beating, so may as well give it some job to do. What appeals to me about apps is that its logged data, so very easy to track your progression in quite a few ways - how fast did I take that hill/complete the circuit this time, how has my maintained avg speed improved this month, whatever.

Never used CycleWatch so can't comment; I've always used Mapmyride as it was the first one I came across and find it does exactly what I want. I do love - in absolutely the geekiest of ways - getting home, stopping the recording, by the time I've sorted myself out, jumping on the PC and going to the website and looking at all the splits and graphs on time/speed/climbs etc. Never had a failed recording either, touch wood.

In fact, at the moment my cycle computer is actually bust, and I aint too bothered about replacing it. Up-to-the-second current speed I think is rather valueless information (beyond the Weeeeeeee factor or on the odd occassions you may be looking at sprint speeds), and watching the miles creep up slowly in 0.1 increments doesnt personally do much for my motivation. I've just set MMR to tell me every 5 miles what my total distance, pace, avg speed etc is. Then I can adjust/push for the next 5 miles accordingly. Also a good method of pacing; if I hit mile 5/10 out of 60-70, and I hear that voice telling me that Im doing 3-4 minute miles, then I know that I need to back off a little or I wont last the distance.

I just have Cyclemeter running on my iPhone in my pocket. Did a four hour ride yesterday and it used about 20% of the battery capacity. For much longer rides there are plenty of iPhone booster battery packs available. I carry a small compact one on long rides that will do two or three recharges. No need to go to airline mode with Cyclemeter. Just switch off the Internet Access option in Settings. Just means you don't have Google maps updating all the time as you ride.

Terry Kay

I've tried a few apps on Android and Endomondo is definitely my favourite - the reason I use the GPS is to log the trail so I can look it over later.. I usually only log a route the first time and then stick to the cycle computer after.
As said, battery life is a problem, but sticking it in airplane mode shuts off all the radios and I can get 8 hours on a full charge..
The computer came with the bike and I always carry my phone with me, but I'm looking at getting a Garmin 200 sometime soon..

donnyjnk

imapmyride for apple, sports tracker for android. Others for android are endomondo, but I found this was too tempremantal on the free version, some more advanced use Strava. you can race against times posted on there. Tried to use a wireless decathlon computer but the speed and time are gauged on the turn of a wheel so depending where you place the sensors on the forks and the wheels and how many miles you do will depend on the accuracy of the computer. Most of the apps run off gps but run in the background. I have never had a problem with battery life just make sure you fully charge it before you start:hyper:

OP
OP
K

Kwacka

Über Member
Thanks for all your help on this, I didn't want to jump straight in and get a cycle computer just to find I could have spent my money on something more useful.
I will check out some of the other Apps mentioned to see if they are a bit more stable than Cycle Watch.
I too love to get back home switch off the app and see how well I have done, it's gutting when you realise it didn't work.

daSmirnov

I started off with using Endomondo on my phone. In my pocket, wouldn't want it attached to my handlebars! Which worked well.

Got an Edge 800 however at the start of the year, having a dedicated bit of kit that'll last for 10 or 12 hours is definitely easier. Turn on, get on bike press start, press stop when stopping. As opposed to get phone out of pocket, turn phone on, unlock, open Endomondo (wait for fix, just to be safe as a phone's GPS in ones pocket isn't the most sensitive) and press start. Plus it also does routing, just moving here last October I felt like I needed a bit of navigational assistance, that lets me relatively easily just tell me where to go, without worrying about checking my phone, it running outta power etc.

Plus I can still export the Garmin data to Endomondo, since I do like the web interface for it.

In short: dedicated kit better IMO, but costs more money.:dry:

I just use my iPhone 4s. I'm very rarely out for longer than 3-4 hours so even with iMap or Strada running, and listening to music, (shock horror, burn that man), and even though GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth etc are always on it's never let me down :thumbsup:

Top Bottom