April's ride with food

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Re: Abandoned Abbey, that sounds like Newark Priory

Yip, that's the one.
You should have joined up yesterday Mark, you would have enjoyed the ride.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I was hoping to but had had a cold/man flu all week.
I got up Saturday morning with the intention of meeting you at Hampton Court but I just felt too rough.
Next time!

Mark.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Sportive went OK, though the ride in was a bit longer than planned- had a route on the Garmin, but it kept trying to send me east rather than west, and between that and human error (like trying to follow the GPS course!) it took 41 miles instead of just under 32. Never mind, it's all good mileage! Still made the start in time (9.40, last start time was 10) and the ride itself went well. Knocked a whole thirty seconds of last year's time (when I rode in from Southampton and didn't go in and out ASAP). Just over the ton for the day, including the trip back from the station this afternoon, and 255 for the week.

frank9755

Cyclist
I've just got round to doing this this morning. Abs, I used your GPS trace, so thanks for that. It's a very nice ride.

You get the impression that it has been planned with Cavendish in mind because it is not hilly! I did it on fixed and was never in danger of having to walk, so the pros will fly up the hills. I think the road up Box Hill is quite narrow for a road race - not much scope for breakaways.

I was familiar with the route from Dorking onwards but the rest of it was fairly new to me once it got past Twickenham. A particular highlight for me was Bushy Park. I've lived in west London for over 20 years and never been there! A beautiful park. Also noticed the abbey at Ripley.

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Yeah some beautiful little set pieces within the route which will be good for those watching on TV. I'd be surprised if they stand by the "route does not need to be repaved" opinion as there are segments which are utterly atrocious! When I first did the route I was blown away by Bushy Park, just utterly superb and such a hidden gem of London. We should be riding it again in September.

Abs

Top Bottom