Archie's first bike build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie

Errrr.....
Well it's been a while since This thread started off my bike building project, and since then progress has been glacier like as I've assimilated all the knowledge I've needed on parts and mechanics. But finally the bike is finished, and here it is.

DSCN1401.jpg

The frame is a NOS early 90's Fausto Coppi steel frame made by Masciaghi. Frame and forks are Columbus Genius steel, which would have been fairly high end in it's day. Frame and forks weigh around 1.8Kg.

DSCN1382.jpg

The bike is fitted with a modern Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed groupset. The frame is late enough to have 130mm spacing for the rear axle, which made sourcing the group easier than would be for an earlier vintage frame. Note the step-down ferrule for the rear mech cable frame boss. This is designed for 4mm cable outer, whereas the group came with the modern SIS style 4.5mm cable, meaing a normal ferrule could not be used.

DSCN1383.jpg

The frame suppliers installed a Miche 1" threaded headset and Mirage bottom bracket at my request, so the ultra-torque chainring supplied with the group would render the bottom bracket redundant. I opted to buy the square taper chainset seen here, as a chat with the LBS established switching to U/T would involve a lot of "faff", and they'd have to do it as I wasn't confident of handling the job myself.

DSCN1384.jpg

The Cinelli stem was bought new, but the Deda anatomical bars (250g) were a second-hand purchase from the CTC forum.

DSCN1387.jpg

This was my first attempt at routing cables under bar tape. No doubt the job could be neater, but the cables themselves all work as expected with hopefully the minimum length required. I went for front & back routing, simply because that's what the grooves on the bar suggested I should do.

DSCN1388.jpg

Fitting the bar tape wasn't too hard, but there were a few bits which could have been neater.

DSCN1389.jpg

I learned some lessons for the second attempt.

DSCN1391.jpg

The frame was supplied with adapters which allow use of modern Ergo levers with the downtube shifter bosses.

DSCN1398.jpg

The Easton Vista SL Wheels were bought from the LBS, and are shod with the highly regarded Michelin Pro3 race tyre. These were demo wheels, which they did me a reasonable deal for, and they weigh in about 1750g.

DSCN1392.jpg

The quick release are cheapo fiver Ebay jobs. I'll try and source some nice enclosed Campy QR skewers but modern designs all seem to be open cam, which I refuse to pay top dollar for. The cheapies will do the job just fine for now

DSCN1394.jpg

The frame was designed as a true racing bike, with little clearance between seat tube and rear tyre, or front mech and tyre.

DSCN1400.jpg

I've fitted a Brookes B17N saddle, another Ebay bargain, to provide a modicum of practicality. This allows me to use a Carradice Barley for carrying lunch and spares if I commute in or go for a day ride.

DSCN1386.jpg

Being a bit of a short-arse, you'll note from the small amount of seatpost showing, this can cause problems if the saddlebag fouls the rear tyre. Instead of an expensive Bagman I've borrowed some shock-cord courtesy of my other hobby, dinghy sailing, to use as a solution.

DSCN1395.jpg

This prevents the Barley from sagging onto the rear wheel as the ride progresses.

DSCN1396.jpg

Simply shift the shock-cord to the top of the bag to load and unload.

DSCN1397.jpg

It's been a fun, and occasionally frustrating, process. Luckily I've a patient kind of nature so if there was something I wanted to research or mull over I'd be happy to leave something a week or two whilst I sorted it out. Many thanks to the guys on Know How who helped out with some of those issues, especially jpembroke who offered a Campy lockring for a reasonable price when answering one of those queries. Hope you like it.

Finally, I thought it might be fun for you all to guess how much all the bike bits (except the Barley) in the photos cost for this bike build. Anyone like to take a stab?

jann71

Veteran
I would love to know as thinking about building one myself but don't think I have the patience/mechanical knowledge.

I'll have a guess at £700

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Depends on how much the frame cost with the added extras the supplier put on. - £600 would prob get the wheels, tyres and gruppo - call it a grand total!

sorry - nice bike BTW

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
OK, here's the scores on the doors.

Frame £157.00
BB £15.00
headset £21.00
Veloce Groupset £250.00
Wheels £150.00
Tyres £49.98
Lockring £3.20
Bars £7.00
Saddle £28.00
Seatpost £8.00
Chainset £29.99
Chain £16.00
bar tape £5.95
stem £22.95
pedals £9.99
QR skewers £4.99
Total £779.05

Postage would add close to another 50 quid however, with most being the frame couriered from Hungary!

The pedals don't really suit, so I'll probably upgrade them at some point, and as I said the skewers will probably be replaced. On the credit side I've now sold the surplus U/T chainset and Campy chain that came with the groupset - I decided to use KMC chains rather than shell out for a new chain tool.

Ah yes, tools. They were an extra cost too, but I regard them as out of scope for project cost purposes, and with a stable of 6 bikes in the family they'll go to good use. :laugh:
Besides, most were bought for general use, not specifically for this project.

OK, I've done the bling thing, I fancy a skip rescue for the next project. :biggrin:

Top Bottom