Are Aldi lights direct clones of the more expensive lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi to all.
I was just wondering in that are Aldi lights direct clones of some of the more expensive lights that sell for much more.
Bike mate cob lights from Aldi were selling last autumn for around £12 and look almost indentical to the moon nebula lights that retail from around £35. They both have the same brackets ( which work on each other) and both boast the same lumens and run time.
This year Aldi seem to have jumped brands on the clones and its now Lenzyn that there lights are based on. A couple of months back they were selling there premium lights which looked very similar to the Lezyne
With there cycling winter special in September they also had for sale some lights remarkably the same as the Lezyne micro drives. The ex brother-in-law has bought two just last week from our local store (£12 ish) and I can tell there is virtually no difference visually between them and my 40 odd pounds Lezyne micro drive 450xl. Were going to go for an evening bike ride sometime in the week (as well as a pub excursion) and will be interesting to pitch his bargain light against mine. If his light is as good as mine it will be a lesson learnt that Aldi lights are just rebranded high quality lights that can be bought for a fraction of the price .
Stay safe all ,and hope you have a good weeks worth of cycling ahead :=)))

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I have a German made Lupine Tesla 4 and a Chinese version which doesn’t have the same rubberised waterproof connectors or a smart looking storage case but both work really well and look very similar. One was £300 the other £14!

huwsparky

Über Member
Pretty sure that their last years rear light were clones of the Moon Comet light. I had both at the time and they looked identical to me.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Typically, German shoppers are known to be the most savvy when it comes to price/value - there was a study done which showed them to be the least driven by "brand" v value for money. German products may be very expensive, but they don't sell well at home..

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Hi to all.
I was just wondering in that are Aldi lights direct clones of some of the more expensive lights that sell for much more.
Bike mate cob lights from Aldi were selling last autumn for around £12 and look almost indentical to the moon nebula lights that retail from around £35. They both have the same brackets ( which work on each other) and both boast the same lumens and run time.
This year Aldi seem to have jumped brands on the clones and its now Lenzyn that there lights are based on. A couple of months back they were selling there premium lights which looked very similar to the Lezyne
With there cycling winter special in September they also had for sale some lights remarkably the same as the Lezyne micro drives. The ex brother-in-law has bought two just last week from our local store (£12 ish) and I can tell there is virtually no difference visually between them and my 40 odd pounds Lezyne micro drive 450xl. Were going to go for an evening bike ride sometime in the week (as well as a pub excursion) and will be interesting to pitch his bargain light against mine. If his light is as good as mine it will be a lesson learnt that Aldi lights are just rebranded high quality lights that can be bought for a fraction of the price .
Stay safe all ,and hope you have a good weeks worth of cycling ahead :=)))
I once brought an Aldi rear light that seemed identical to a halfords rear light I brought, except that the Halfords one cost 8 quid more. They must have been identical as both were rubbish and broke after a few days in exactly the same way.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Well , we went out for that promised bike ride tonight armed with my Leyzne lights and the ex brother-in-law with his Aldi clone Leyzne lights. I did post before that hos lights cost around £12 but they were actually around £16 with a rear light included.
I was really impressed with the aldi light he had. It was a fraction less powerful than mine but it still managed to light up the dark lanes The battery life on full whack lasted just over an hour. As they were such a bargain he had two sets and when both were illuminated on the deserted lanes the lighting power was brilliant and picked out all the pot holes etc. As his cost a mere £16 a set to my 40 pounds I would say his were the best for value for money. The extra money I paid for the very small gain in light was not really worth it to be honest.
A side from the lumens war ,it was a great nights cycling and we both enjoyed the balmy weather conditions. :-) :-)

classic33

Leg End Member
Well , we went out for that promised bike ride tonight armed with my Leyzne lights and the ex brother-in-law with his Aldi clone Leyzne lights. I did post before that hos lights cost around £12 but they were actually around £16 with a rear light included.
I was really impressed with the aldi light he had. It was a fraction less powerful than mine but it still managed to light up the dark lanes The battery life on full whack lasted just over an hour. As they were such a bargain he had two sets and when both were illuminated on the deserted lanes the lighting power was brilliant and picked out all the pot holes etc. As his cost a mere £16 a set to my 40 pounds I would say his were the best for value for money. The extra money I paid for the very small gain in light was not really worth it to be honest.
A side from the lumens war ,it was a great nights cycling and we both enjoyed the balmy weather conditions. :-) :-)
Now see how long they last compared to one another.
Last light lighting so to speak.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
There tend to be two types of Chinese clone.

The first is by the factories that make the branded product. They make some debranded versions that are identical.

The second is by unrelated firms that rip off the design and make poor quality copies. These are very often dangerous, with inadequate wiring, no overload protection, chargers with no regulation, etc. If a product has any visible difference at all, it will be one of these.

rd83

I bought the lights from Aldi that resemble the Moon Nebula. They blow my Exposure Trace & TraceR out of the water and remaining stock is 9.99 now with 3 year warranty. Will probably sell the Exposures now.

classic33

Leg End Member
I bought the lights from Aldi that resemble the Moon Nebula. They blow my Exposure Trace & TraceR out of the water and remaining stock is 9.99 now with 3 year warranty. Will probably sell the Exposures now.
£2·99 at the local one.

Top Bottom