Are all cameras disposable now?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I have a Fujifilm Finepix 5000 thats about four years old, cost me £220, ten by zoom, automatic and manual settings, lovely camera that takes a very good picture, or did. Its gone faulty with sensor problems. I took it into Jessops and they didn't even look at it, just said it would cost at least £130 to and it wasn't worth fixing. I went round the corner to Beryl Houghton, they at least looked at it, but the story was similar, said it would cost at least £100 to fix and it wasn't worth it. Looks like I am in the market for a new camera.:angry:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I know where you are coming from. My Fuji 3800 died recently after a fairly short life. The old 35mm cameras seemed to last forever :angry:
I got a cheap digi camcorder/camera off my dad, but tbh my phone takes better photos :biggrin:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Soltydog said:
I know where you are coming from. My Fuji 3800 died recently after a fairly short life. The old 35mm cameras seemed to last forever :angry:
I got a cheap digi camcorder/camera off my dad, but tbh my phone takes better photos :biggrin:

I have my eye on a Panasonic
http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product1.asp?ProductID=4464

but its £200 and I have just spent £240 on a new computer.:biggrin: and I cant really afford it, but thats the sort of cost to get something similar the Fuji

Ben M

All technology is disposable, by the time that a component breaks, you can buy a better new one for less than it would cost to repair the old one. It's due to the Moore's Law nature of technology.

Renard

I still have two 35mm SLRs and all the gubbins which work and lie in a bag in the bottom of my wardrobe. I use a small HP digital zoom camera which does the job without really having to think about it. Photography no longer has the sense of satisfaction it once had though.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Renard said:
I still have two 35mm SLRs and all the gubbins which work and lie in a bag in the bottom of my wardrobe. I use a small HP digital zoom camera which does the job without really having to think about it. Photography no longer has the sense of satisfaction it once had though.

Renard I sold my last SLR, a Centon, after about ten years use and it was still working perfectly

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You could try selling it on e-bay for parts? Mr Summerdays bought 2 cameras - one with a broken screen and the other some other mal function and managed to make one camera from them.

tyred

Legendary Member
I do have a basic digital camera which I use for general snapshots and the like but I like landscape photography and for that, I still reach for my Practika MTL5B 35mm SLR.

Unfortunately, I no longer have access to a brilliantly equiped darkroom:sad:

peanut

Its the Finepix S5000 series yes ?
fantastic camera, The only problem was the time it took for the lens to come out if you wanted a snapshot. Infutriating. :tongue:
The S5600 was the best in the 5000 series. Very quick ready time due to its fixed lens.

I repair these cameras as a hobby . What exactly is the fault with the camera ?

Downward

Guru
peanut said:
Its the Finepix S5000 series yes ?
fantastic camera, The only problem was the time it took for the lens to come out if you wanted a snapshot. Infutriating. :tongue:
The S5600 was the best in the 5000 series. Very quick ready time due to its fixed lens.

I repair these cameras as a hobby . What exactly is the fault with the camera ?

Ooo sorry to jump in but we have the Fuji E1000 Is it ? 10mp one.
Anyway it's been repaired once but broken again. When you plug in the usb lead nothing happens and so we can't get our pics from the memory card.
We had a reader which broke so I am not paying ££ for a new one.

peanut

Downward said:
Ooo sorry to jump in but we have the Fuji E1000 Is it ? 10mp one.
Anyway it's been repaired once but broken again. When you plug in the usb lead nothing happens and so we can't get our pics from the memory card.
We had a reader which broke so I am not paying ££ for a new one.

probably due to the settings on your PC and not the camera but if the camera is not being recognised as a drive why can't you take the memory card out and use a USB multi card reader? they only cost £5.00 or less at Comet, PC World , Dixons Argos etc etc

Try using Picassa the free software from Google. Download and install it. Its got a image importer and gallery feature plus an excellent photo editing cropping facility too.

Try using another memory card in the camera. it could be your memory card that is faulty. Try plugging your camera into another computer etc

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
peanut said:
probably due to the settings on your PC and not the camera but if the camera is not being recognised as a drive why can't you take the memory card out and use a USB multi card reader? they only cost £5.00 or less at Comet, PC World , Dixons Argos etc etc

Try using Picassa the free software from Google. Download and install it. Its got a image importer and gallery feature plus an excellent photo editing cropping facility too.

Try using another memory card in the camera. it could be your memory card that is faulty. Try plugging your camera into another computer etc

Picasa3 +1 excellent:smile:

Top Bottom