Are and Is

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IS sympathisers?

gottogetfit

Just catching snippets of the X Factor tonight as Ed Sheran may be playing live . They keep saying IS instead of ARE and its pissing me off .
I'm sure i'm right but i'm a carpenter not in charge of a national tv show going out to millions of people .
The winner IS ...
The winners IS .... Thats wrong innit ? Should be winners ARE ....
I'm with you on that one

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Simon Cowell begs to differ.

I didn't think he ever begged.

The winner IS ...
Yeah, that's very wrong.

But +1 to everyone above. Turn it off. Turn it off before they finish that sentence. Your life won't be any better whether you know who "won" this ridiculous rigged contest.

(I can't name an X-Factor or big brother winner, ever. Nor a Christmas number one, ever. There is a lot wrong with my life. Not knowing those things is** not a factor.)

**Pretty sure that "is" is correct there.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
ma.png

All true bar the ma.

Just catching snippets of the X Factor tonight as Ed Sheran may be playing live . They keep saying IS instead of ARE and its pissing me off .
I'm sure i'm right but i'm a carpenter not in charge of a national tv show going out to millions of people .
The winner IS ...

There was an article in the news this week reporting how computer literacy had declined with the increase of smart phone use. Just one example of "use it or lose it".

Consider the very common use of text speak on mobiles phone generally. I`m not surprised by these type of things that I see and hear about.

Regarding the point you have raised IS/ARE. Of course you are correct. IS=singular. ARE=Plural

The real problem isn't exactly what is above, but what if a band wins. It's either

"The winner is One Direction"
Or
"The winners are One direction"

I think it's a matter of opinion which is right. If it's a single prize that could go to either a band or an individual, I'd go with the first. If all the contestants are bands - especially if it's a prize for bands, I'd go with the second.

Note Neither "The winner are One Direction" nor "`The winners is One Direction" are correct. Ever.

Tin Pot

Guru
The winner IS ...

"That is incorrect, is it not?"

Of all the issues with X Factor, this is near the bottom.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
There was an article in the news this week reporting how computer literacy had declined with the increase of smart phone use. Just one example of "use it or lose it".

Consider the very common use of text speak on mobiles phone generally. I`m not surprised by these type of things that I see and hear about.

Regarding the point you have raised IS/ARE. Of course you are correct. IS=singular. ARE=Plural

Did you mean literacy?

It is a major concern of examination boards and the examiners' reports have been commenting on the use of 'text speak' for some years now. Up to three marks are allocated to candidates for spelling and grammar - it should be a lot more than that.

The new specifications for GCSE English Language places greater emphasis on grammar and literacy than before. It will be interesting to see how this affects grades when the first results are released in 2017.

Teenagers attempt to use three variants of English: street speak, txt speak and standard English. They aren't very good at recognising the boundaries between them. It doesn't help having young English teachers who are guilty of the same sins.

Top Bottom