Are and Is

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
No, that's like saying "Facts is". The others are ok.
On second thought I think you're right. I do however think most people when they say "data" mean it in the context of my third example, as shorthand for "the collection of data" or "the conclusion drawn from the data" or somesuch. I'm pretty sure I do when I'm at work, I'm usually more pedantic in an online discussion though ^_^.

RichardB

Slightly retro
And also "the media is ..." and so on. I think we have to accept that 'data' and 'media' are now used by most people as singular nouns, so I don't get too bothered by "the data is" or using "media" as a singular. They kind of grate, but I understand that usage is king, and it's not worth losing sleep over. I worked with a guy who was a proper classical scholar, and when he chaired meetings he would say things like "shall we move onto the next agendum?" (Pronounced with a hard g, of course). He sounded a bit of a dick, to be honest.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The real problem isn't exactly what is above, but what if a band wins. It's either

"The winner is One Direction"
Or
"The winners are One direction"

I think it's a matter of opinion which is right. If it's a single prize that could go to either a band or an individual, I'd go with the first. If all the contestants are bands - especially if it's a prize for bands, I'd go with the second.

Note Neither "The winner are One Direction" nor "`The winners is One Direction" are correct. Ever.

But anyway, surely we'd want to know which Direction had won, not merely that One Direction had; that tells us nothing

RichardB

Slightly retro
I need a stiff drink.

Is. Why would it be 'are'? It doesn't make sense.
trap.png

Top Bottom