Are BKool Turbo Trainers a Scam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrustratedFatman

I'm looking for some advice. Around 4 months ago I bought a BKool simulator. I struggled to get it to connect using Bluetooth. At first it was intermittent then it just stopped all together. Several messages to support had them asking what type of phone etc. I was using the most up to date Samsung. After a few exchanges they said that they don't support their phone based app. I moved over to their dongle and a laptop, but it still didn't work.

They said they would give me phone support. After waiting a couple of weeks for a phone appointment they didn't phone at the appointed time, but sent me a message saying they'd missed me. They are now saying that they'll only give online support. There doesn't seem to be anyplace I can call in.

Does anyone have any experience or advice to offer?

kapelmuur

Veteran
It will be no consolation to you for me to say I've had one for 3 years and it works perfectly even though I pair it with an old 2nd hand laptop.

I'd return it as not fit for purpose, if you bought it on a credit card you'll have section 75 protection.

I'd do this now as who knows what will happen to consumer law after 29th March.

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm looking for some advice. Around 4 months ago I bought a BKool simulator. I struggled to get it to connect using Bluetooth. At first it was intermittent then it just stopped all together. Several messages to support had them asking what type of phone etc. I was using the most up to date Samsung. After a few exchanges they said that they don't support their phone based app. I moved over to their dongle and a laptop, but it still didn't work.

They said they would give me phone support. After waiting a couple of weeks for a phone appointment they didn't phone at the appointed time, but sent me a message saying they'd missed me. They are now saying that they'll only give online support. There doesn't seem to be anyplace I can call in.

Does anyone have any experience or advice to offer?

Sounds faulty, send it back. Buy something else

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I used to have an original Pro and used this with a laptop and Ant+ dongle. Never had any connection problems with the Bkool Sim, BRVR or Zwift. Never tried bluetooth though - don't Bkool have a propriety Bkool protocol?

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I don't think it's fair to say they are a 'Scam' I think they are engineered down to a price, and QC and support isn't all it should be.

I have just stopped using my Smart Pro, which has behaved pretty well with ANT+ and a PC, just couldn't live with the unpredictability of the power and resistance now that I am taking my training more seriously.

Even more expensive trainers have their issues. Paying £1000 quid for a Kickr, or £600 for a Kickr Core, you wouldn't expect bearing issues after a couple of weeks, or for the circuit board to fry itself from static discharge, but it happens, and some people are on the third replacement, even though Wahoo have re-engineered the parts.

Even the Tacx Neo has issues, I got mine last week, and from day one have had a droning rumble, I'm hoping that it's a 'new' trainer bedding in issue and will go away ... in fact, from my little new cleat positioning ride I had yesterday the rumble is much reduced. Must try a ride without music and see what happens.

If it was me, and knowing what BKool support can be like, I'd go back to your retailer, and get it replaced/refunded as 'Not Fit For Purpose' under the sale of goods act.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
I’ve had my Bkool pro turbo for coming up on 3 years. It’s had plenty of use In that time and still going good. The power readout is way {20%) over stated. I had an issue inside the warranty period and Bkool replaced the unit free of charge.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i too had a bkool . i think it is ok as a unit if you are trying to beat your own times and generally keep fit while weather is bad , but it lets itself down when being competitive against others . if i was you i would if possible , return bkool and maybe put it towards another trainer at reduced price - not saying you definitely wont have issues with a it , but if you do you have more chance of them being resolved - if you go to the bkool threads you will see what a lot of people think to the customer service
if you do use a dongle , make sure it is very close to unit by using an extension
and i would turn off after each session - it resets things

Top Bottom