Are Bromptons more prone to punctures?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
7 flats in a year seems a lot. You could try tubeless tire sealant. Since I've been using it I've had zero flats. I use regular Marathons on the Brompton but other tires on my other bikes and they have been flat free. Still, wet class's slicing action is different than thorns. My 20 inch bikes have Kendas and they do seem easier to get on and off the rim than the Schwalbes.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had a few words with my acquaintance who has Tannus tyres on his Brompton.

Although 'had' would be more accurate.

He told me they rode OK, but he wore them out.

Seems they 'squared off', so he has gone back to Marathon Plus.

He does do a lot of miles.

A pair would probably last me years.

A puncture proof Brommie with no need to carry a pump or repair kit is appealing.

Whereisjake

Only slightly late to the party here but thought I’d add my thoughts on the Tannus option.

I’ve only had my Brompton (M3L) for 5 months and have had the Tannus on for 4 of those. I‘ll cycle a minimum of 50 miles a week, nearly all of which in central London.

The positive side is that I simply don’t have to worry about a puncture and they are marginally lighter that the standard marathons.

The main drawbacks are that there is definitely more rolling resistance, (but in reality it just means that I push slightly harder and I doubt my ride takes any longer than normal), the thinner tyre profile makes turning at speed more unsettling, and the ride is definitely firmer. The latter isn’t really an issue in London, but my last mile down country lanes can be bone shaking if I don’t swerve every pothole.

I can’t speak for longevity yet but if I had the choice again I’d still fit the Tannus for peace of mind, just be mindful of the extra firm ride.

LKiwi

A shiny new six speed Brompton in my local bike shop got me thinking again about my next bike purchase.

One thing causing me to hesitate is that when I had a Brompton I got quite a few punctures.

Given that I only do short journeys on any pushbike, my puncture to miles travelled ratio was poor.

My Brompton had ordinary Marathon tyres.

I replaced the rear in the hope a barely worn tyre would puncture less, but it didn't seem to make much difference.

So the question is are Bromptons more prone to punctures than big wheel bikes?

Ive had Brompton for quite a few years and Yes definitely more punchers! In London, with Marathon Pluses. Marathons just don't work for me, though I'm 110kg. Im so sick of getting punctures!
Investigating Tannus, though would prefer a puncture-less inner tube and be able to change the tyre.
There is also the new Continental Tyre which the Mrs has, that seems alright so far.
Not a fan of Brompton and beginning to really loath Marathon Tyres.

Kell

Veteran
Someone on here (I think) tried Tannus and switched them back out very quickly.

I'm over 100kg also, but don't seem to have suffered in the same way as you.

Obviously some of it is luck (or bad luck). Last time I did a big road ride on a thin-tired road bike I got 4 punctures in 50 miles.

mitchibob

Über Member
A tubeless option would be nice, but I'm guessing the average Brompton owner wouldn't necessarily replace the sealant on a regular enough basis.

I tend to switch between Kojaks in summer, and standard Marathons for winter, although a lot of that comes down to running the Kojaks until they really need replacing, then sticking the Marathons from last winter back on, because they're fine! I did have one iffy Marathon, that puncture a couple of times, and then continuously punctured, and could never find the mysterious object that was causing it, but since then, been really lucky with Marathons going long distance between punctures. Been pretty lucky with the Kojaks in the last couple years too, to be honest, but I did have one awful couple of months a few years ago. Then bought a CO2 refiller and didn't have a puncture for months and months.

Top Bottom