Are Brooks saddles really that comfortable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
A friend of mine used neats foot oil (spelling?) to soften his saddle up.

I just rode mine for a few weeks and then it fit like a glove. But if you're going on a tour with a new Brooks saddle it might be wise to wear a well padded pair of shorts to begin with.

Too much softening is not good for leather saddles (though opinion is mixed on `stuff` to treat them with) they need to be stiff enough to support you without turning into a hammock. Mine cost me the best part of *£50.00 so I`m minded to follow the makers (Brooks) advice and use Proofide (£5.00 for a small tin that looks as though it will last a few years),

* See my `nom de plume` to understand how much that hurt :blush: .

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I ordered the proof tin stuff as well so I'm going to do as told by brooks or you chaps on here with more experience that me.

I have just over a month before I go so I'll ride each day and hopefully wear it in a little. I have a pair of padded shorts already, which are essential because even though I have a lot of 'natural padding (fat)' none of it is actually on my boney arse :blush:

Yorkshireman]Too much softening is not good for leather saddles (though opinion is mixed on `stuff` to treat them with) they need to be stiff enough to support you without turning into a hammock. [b]Mine cost me the best part of *£50.00 so I`m minded to follow the makers (Brooks) advice and use Proofide (£5.00 for a small tin that looks as though it will last a few years) said:
* See my `nom de plume` to understand how much that hurt :blush: .

It does last a few years. I bought my Brooks getting on for 15 years ago and I've still got most of the original tin of proofide left! You don't need to use much, or do it very often.[/b]

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi all, I have a B17 narrow on my tourer and I find it really really comfortable. It is nicely broken in and tensioned. Brookes saddles mould themselves to the shape of the owners rear end so they end up fitting like a glove.

Chris James

Über Member
I have a B17N on my audax bike. To be honest I have forgotten the full details about breaking it in, but the mere fact that I have forgotten it must mean it can't be as bad as some of the stories make out!

Apparetly the B17N are supposed to be difficult to break in too. It was very hard when I first got it, but not uncomfortable. Did need a bit of setting up though as the right height and angle are critical. I would say that one longish ride of a few hours is probbaly enough to get the breaking in process well under way.

banjoblues said:
So what are the disadvantages of a Brooks saddle? Why doesn't everybody use them if they are so good?

It`s not every @rse that`s suited to a Brooks (just like any other saddle really). The problen is that you don`t know until You have tried them.

sybarite

Rhythm Thief said:
I think Brooks say you need to do about 500 miles on one of their saddles before it's broken in. Mine was comfortabl;e from the word go, once I'd set it up properly.

I just bought a new B17 about 3 weeks ago. I normally only commute about 12 miles a day and the first week I wore padded shorts/underwear. The first day of the 2nd week, it rained quite hard and after that the saddle softened up. Combo of riding, rain, drying and more balsam seemed to break the thing in. Have to admit riding the moonscape they call roads in London during the first week was most the most fun i recalled having on a bike.

Rhythm Thief said:
And they don't like getting wet so the MTB crowd don't go for them either.

I read that the best way to break the saddle in is to soak it in a bucket of water, put it on the bike then ride it while it is still wet.

It was suggested that when the saddle is made, it is shaped after it is soaked in water.

Anybody know if that's true?

gavintc

Guru
banjoblues said:
So what are the disadvantages of a Brooks saddle? Why doesn't everybody use them if they are so good?

You need a beard and sandals to really appreciate them.
:blush: :rolleyes: . Oh, and someone has already mentioned, they are heavy. Have a look at some of the carbon saddles for lightweight comfort. eg Spec Toupe

Top Bottom