Are Brooks saddles really that comfortable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...I shaved my beard off last year....Hmmm...do SJS cycles accept returns on basis of being beardless I wonder? :blush:

That race saddle look great... :rolleyes:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
It's like selling alcohol to under-18s. The seller has a responsibility to check that the buyer is fully qualified to own a Brooks.

I've had mine about six months, after a painful End-to-End ride forced me to consider seating options. I gave it a good soaking with Hydrophane or something like it and now it's pretty comfy.

Time will tell if this was a mistake I guess.

christian dieu

I tried the racy, titanium railed one a while back but couldn't put up with the discomfort while it was breaking in so soled it after 200 miles. Best seat I have used on a road bike is a Fizik Arione.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry to add this but I also bought a Ti railed one (Swift?) second hand from somebody else who didn't like it. As soon as I opened the carton I was shocked at how crude it looked. It was heavy and uncomfortable and it really did look like something made by an ancient family-owned chastity belt manufacturer in Birmingham.... come to think of it.... it IS!

I managed to resell it for the same money and went back to my faithful old Trek plastic and foam saddle, which I have now re-covered with fresh vinyl three times and which is fine for 7 hours on the MTB in wet conditions.

I do remember the Brooks leather saddle on my pal's Raleigh roadster as a kid and how comfortable it was. Armchair-like in fact, but it had sagged and looked like one of those steel tractor seats.

Wouldn't ride anything else. :?:

However, I managed to kill a B17 within a couple of years through overdoing the Proofide and playing wi' tension bolt.

My rule now is Proofide once, top and bottom, and once only. Never play with the bolt.

Use mudguards.

Grow a beard.

twowheelsgood

Hi Bigtallfatbloke,

I recently bought a Brooks and am very happy with it. I'd seriously consider the narrow version (B17N). The standard version is very wide by modern standards whereas the B17N is just wide. This is especially true if you are a bit full in the thigh region.

As for break-in I'm fairly heavy (90kg) and break-in was very quick (say 50miles and a week).

A couple of things to note. They are incredibly slippery out of the box and need to be carefully positioned. For a start the rails don't allow the saddle back as far a most, so you may need a layback post. Secondly most of my saddles are tilted slightly forward. The Brooks is tilted backwards

Hope this helps.

Chuffy said:
My rule now is Proofide once, top and bottom, and once only. Never play with the bolt.

That's exactly what Fred Williams of Wolverhampton (shameless plug - it's an excellent shop) told me when I bought mine from them years ago.

Rhythm Thief said:
Chuffy said:

That's exactly what Fred Williams of Wolverhampton (shameless plug - it's an excellent shop) told me when I bought mine from them years ago.
I wish I'd known before I destroyed my first B17. :eek: I've got B17Ns on both my everyday bikes and they still look barely used, despite having done thousands of miles each. :blush:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I have had a B17 for years and always found it fine. I got it when they were pretty much universal, so didn't think much about it. It was on the bike when I bought it, seemed to work, so there it stayed.

But before the last PBP I did wonder if I was missing out on all the 'advances' of modern saddles and that perhaps there was something even more comfortable out there. So I begged / bought / borrowed a selection of new saddles and used a different one for every qualification ride. However in my van at the finish I had my B17 on a seat post, and swopped over to this to ride a few 'post audax cool down' miles with the Brookes. In every case it felt better.

So I used the B17 for PBP and enjoyed 1200kms without even the slightest hint of discomfort.

But I wouldn't put it on my race bike. I'm no style victim, but somethings are just wrong. Luckily I find the Fizik Arione plenty comfortable for long day rides.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..ok it just arrived in the post...it's now sitting in the kitchen having been proofrided/treated....soona s it stops pouring down I'll fit it and let the arse torture begin!

When they get to this stage
2007_0612Brooks0001.jpg

they are very, very comfortable :tongue:

MsMalfoy

I've just switched from a Selle Italia Genuine Gel to a Brooks B17S. Gave it a 43 mile tryout and I can honestly say it's the most comfotable saddle I've ever perched my behind on.
So comfy that I didn't actually think about it for the entire ride, normally I'd be having to stand up on the pedals every 5 minutes or so after about an hour in the saddle to let the blood come back to my nether regions but the Brooks is a dream.
Have brought two, one for my hybrid and one for my Mercian.

Top Bottom