Are Brooks saddles really that comfortable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...well i haven't been able to get out much today...but a short ride around the block told me things are good...it is hard but much more comfy than th esella italia gel that th ebike came with and the gel 'anotomical ' design on th eother saddle I bought in my ignorance as a newbie. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a longer ride in.

Edit:
Today is actually tomorrow now and I can report that I had a very comfortable first 45km ride this morning on the new brooks. No arse ache, no saddle sores, no numb nutz. It is 100% better than the selle italia and Volante gel saddles I was using to date. It's not much heavier at all really either, in fact I'd say the Volante 'sofa' (what a crap saddle that is imho) is actually heavier than the brooks. If this is how it feels out of the box then things can only get better as the saddle breaks in and the months become years.

Thanks for all your help and comments.

Shen

FWIW.

I wrecked my first Swift using Neatsfoot oil. Expensive error that.

I rather like my new Swift, and I just bought my partner a Brooks for the tandem, she just don't know it yet...LOL

Shen

Joe

Über Member
I preferred my B17 when it was new! The very first ride was extremely hard and slippery, (god that sounds dodgy!) but once I'd set it up (angle was everything) it was really comfy. Unfortunately I left it out in torrential rain for several hours one day and after riding it home it had really stretched and has never been as good since:sad: I'm considering adjusting the tension but I've heard nothing but bad things about messing with that nut. Do you think it's worth it?

Joe said:
I preferred my B17 when it was new! The very first ride was extremely hard and slippery, (god that sounds dodgy!) but once I'd set it up (angle was everything) it was really comfy. Unfortunately I left it out in torrential rain for several hours one day and after riding it home it had really stretched and has never been as good since:sad: I'm considering adjusting the tension but I've heard nothing but bad things about messing with that nut. Do you think it's worth it?

As long as you don't over do the tightening (and the saddle is bone dry now) it could improve it. If the cheeks (the side bits going down between the nose and rear, with the logo on) are starting to stick out sideways a bit, you could try lacing it (see my B67 pic above ), lacing also helps to keep the top of the saddle in shape and reduce any hammock tendencies.

Joe

Über Member
Lacing it sounds like an excellent idea actually, I may try that before adjusting the tension. The cheeks are definitely sticking out and the saddle looks much more like when it was at it's comfiest if you push them together. How did you go about it? Did you fit those eyelets yourself?

Joe,
The leather on the B67 is fairly thick, so I used the power drill to make the initial holes and then tidied them up with a leather punch, then used some eyelets that came with the punch and eyelet kit (one of LiDl's special offers but I think they are available in B&Q etc). I reckon that if you do the lacing first it will make it easier to tighten the tension as you will then only be taking slack up, rather than pulling the saddle into shape. I used standard black bootlaces with the intention of getting some leather ones later, but ... :biggrin:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...this is good to read about...the lesson I am learning here is..." Take a saddle cover and use it"...polythene bag and rubbe rband are being packed as I type:smile:

Joe

Über Member
Yep, I guess it's why Brooks make their very own saddle cover! I now have a plastic bag permanently stored under my saddle;)
Cheers for the advice Yorkshireman, I will definitely have a go at lacing my B17 soon:smile:

Bigtallfatbloke said:
...this is good to read about...the lesson I am learning here is..." Take a saddle cover and use it"...polythene bag and rubbe rband are being packed as I type:smile:

This is what you need
SadCover.jpg

Available free at some 'Health & Fitness' establishments (ladies shower dept), or in Boots (with a lovely floral motif) for a few bob :biggrin:.

PS
My wife frequents the ladies shower dept at the gym ... not me :biggrin:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

My wife frequents the ladies shower dept at the gym ... not me

...I remember one day at the gym a long time ago when they were re fitting the changing rooms. They swapped the male and female rooms around for a while...gave me an excuse anyway!:biggrin::tongue::laugh:

Top Bottom