Are Cars Getting Smaller?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex H

Legendary Member
When we moved to France in 2010, we brought with us a LHD Ford Focus Estate, 2006 version. It's been a good car for us and suits me well, even though I have to put the seat right back to drive (I'm 6'2" or 189cm :rolleyes:)

Now we have made the decision to return to the UK, I thought we should perhaps get the updated version of the same car. (The Pino will actually fit inside the car without splitting). However, after a trip to the local dealer, I find I can't drive the new version as I don't fit. Despite putting the seat down and back, the steering wheel is about 1cm away from my legs, whereas in the old car it's about 5cm. I know there is a version where you can adjust the steering wheel as well, but I suspect this is not available or all models (unless someone knows different)

The roof line is also lower as we found out when parked next to a new one in the supermarket car park yesterday.

After the Ford experience we decided to try Toyota (I have had Avensiss / Avensi? in the past). The Avensis seems to be the same size, and the estate version is huge, but I can't get in an Auris. The Verso is fine, but it's a van with windows.

Anyone had similar experiences?

Jody

Stubborn git
Cars are getting bigger by the year for their equivilent model and cabin space is always a little fluid depending on the eternal styling of the body.

Most cars now will allow adjustment of the steering wheel.

The rooflines slope downwards towards the rear to rear seat passengers have less headrom. The window line sweeps upwards to rear seat passsengers have less window. The size of windows has been reduced with huge pillars reducing driver vision and increasing blind spots. The amount of cosmetic plastic in centre consoles, doors, dasboard etc has increased in bulk.
Car reviewers seem blind to these changes.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Not so you'd notice........

9035a164c77dee7bbd81f7f3bbbf9c81.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
They're bigger on the outside, and smaller on the inside. It's the reverse Tardis effect.
This. They have more economical engines but have to haul around more weight negating the benefit. Roodflines are so low on some 'regular cars' these days even I have to avoid banging my head.
My Dacia Logan is in fact the opposite, light weight due to simplicity, economic engine due to technology makes a benefit and spacious on the inside again due to lack of superfluous guff. It's the future!!!!

Noru

They're bigger on the outside, and smaller on the inside. It's the reverse Tardis effect.

Yep it's a great shame, sadly no sign of any Japanese style kei jidōsha regulations which give preferential treatment to physically small & low emission cars.

Sadly we`re going the American & Chinese way of bigger is better so much so that parking bay sizes are being increased so people can continue to drive oversize tanks. The government scrapping VED and reintroducing road tax at a simple normal & luxury tax levels will only fuel the problem.

Fab Foodie

Spot on. Safety and regulations come at a cost, which is internal cabin space. Gone are the days when you can sell a flimsy tin.
Safety regs are only a small part of the whole picture though. The rest is down to design/aesthetics 'luxury materials' extra sound proofing, more electronic gizmos, yadda yadda.

Drago

Legendary Member
Thicker, comfier, safer seats, airbags making doors and pillars thicker...cars may be getting bigger on the outside, but the interiors aren't growing in proportion.

Fab Foodie

Yep it's a great shame, sadly no sign of any Japanese style kei jidōsha regulations which give preferential treatment to physically small & low emission cars.

Sadly we`re going the American & Chinese way of bigger is better so much so that parking bay sizes are being increased so people can continue to drive oversize tanks. The government scrapping VED and reintroducing road tax at a simple normal & luxury tax levels will only fuel the problem.
Furthermore, a lot of modern humans would find it a problem getting into and remaining comfortable in an original Mini or Fiat 500 these days.....

Drago

Legendary Member
Back in the day there were several big chunky lads on then team at work, all of us well North of six two, most of us close to over twenty stone, so the job in their infinite wisdom gave us two Corsas. I struggled so badly to climb in and out that it would've been dangerous in a collision or an emergency, so I refused to drive them.

Top Bottom