Are you getting more philanthropic as you get older?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Very much so.

In my 30s there were so many things and experiences I wanted.

Now I find more pleasure in volunteering my time and donating my stuff.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yes, very much so.
I'm not sure if it's age related (having money aside, mortgage paid off, not needing so much stuff just for the sake of it) or an effect of the pandemic.
I was 57 during the first lockdown, so could be either ^_^
Before Covid I wouldn't work unless paid, now I volunteer during annual leave - I'm still working full time.
I have spent my own money (and time) improving communal green areas, when I cook something nice I share it with time strapped friends, I regularly check on my elderly neighburgs.

Slick

Guru
I have no doubt that all my stuff will be skipped after I die, so I'm going minimalistic while I'm alive :laugh:

You are spot on Pat. My brother and I travelled a couple of hundred miles to clear an old aunts house after she sadly passed away. My brother is quite careful and thoughtful so wanted to travel around offering out her best possessions to other family members, who I'm sure would have appreciated it. I on the other hand am all about the practicalities of life, and we had a large hired van for 24 hours so needed the job done in a day. Sadly that meant skipping the lot, but to be fair, she had given away most of the valuable stuff, before going into hospital.

Mrs Slick mum is shaping up to be a nightmare, as she is going the opposite way and any house clearance will be a total nightmare for someone. Hopefully the brothers. :okay:

Slick

Guru
I personally see huge changes in me as I age.

All for the better apart from looks. :laugh:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Absolutely, I think it's only as a result of being financially secure though. I do enjoy giving things away, tools and the like, especially if the person reminds me of myself.
Coincidentally today I listened to a programme on BBC Sounds where Dr Michael Mosley reckoned that being generous has health benefits such as lowering blood pressure. I can well believe it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I am. Never used to be like this but now I find I need fewer 'things' and would just like others to benefit. Is it age related?
I've given away various bikes and other stuff.
Would like to know if others are going through the same thing.

I think it's a natural consequence of reflecting on your own mortality. Etienne De Grillet's words absolutely nailed it.....

“I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.”

Dave 123

Legendary Member
When I was still in Cambridge I realised I had a couple of sleeping bags I wasn’t using. There were plenty of homeless people in town.

One day I took them in. I gave away the first one to someone who looked like they might benefit from it.

The second one, I had someone in mind, I used to chat to him quite a bit. I couldn’t find him anywhere, so I gave it to a bloke who didn’t look too bad.

I literally walked around the next corner and there was a fella that looked like he was desperate….. I wanted to go back and get the sleeping bag from the other bloke, but of course I didn’t.

It still bugs me now!

Top Bottom