Are you getting more philanthropic as you get older?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I think hoarding sort of runs in my family. My mother keeps going to car boot sales and charity shops and buying all sorts of things she has no use for. The attic is stuffed at home.

My brother takes anything anyone else is throwing out and will do things like buy a new stereo and set it on top of the old one.

PK99

Legendary Member
I am. Never used to be like this but now I find I need fewer 'things' and would just like others to benefit. Is it age related?
I've given away various bikes and other stuff.
Would like to know if others are going through the same thing.

Yes.

We are committed to "de-cluttering". It makes the house nicer to be in and will give the kids less of a problem.

Years ago, we would have wanted to sell for the best price.

Now:
Ski jackets, trousers and thermals went to a homeless shelter.
Multiple redundant kitchen items have been offered free on Nextdoor, or similar.
Stuff with a value, I've offered for " free but please make a donation to xxxxxx local hospice. Some on here! With a very positive response. I get more space. Someone gets a good deal. Hospice gets £££. Win.Win.Win

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Do I give stuff away to those less fortunate? Not that much now as when I have given it personally to someone I've had non to grateful acceptances of my offerings. I've given nice clothes to folk, only to be told they sold them on fleabay for a few quid.:rolleyes: I've also had those I've given stuff to come knocking on my door asking if I have anything else for them. I do however put unwanted clothes in those Salvation Army clothes skips, but that's when I want to get rid of them, not to do some kind of charitable thing. Sorry if I sound 'uncaring', but I always ask myself who knocks on my door asking If I need anything. The answer to that is no one. I have to look after number one!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A year or so ago I put a wooden chair outside my flat for council collection. It was there a few days then it disappeared way before the council would've arrived to take it. I bet the one who took it thought he/she was 'stealing' it, but to me they did me a favour and I only wish I'd seen them take it as I had and still have the canvas seat cushion/back that went with the chair. If I had seen them I'd have given them the cushion/back to go with the chair. I couldn't put the chair out with the cushion bit as well, due to it getting wet in the rain etc. I often wonder what they used to make the chair comfortable to sit on and it still bugs me that I didn't spot them in the act, so I could've got rid of the cushion as well. So it's still here, adding to the clutter in my flat. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed.

I recently got a taxi, a black guy driving, nice old boy. He was telling me that morning he'd done a school run and the mum then asked to be driven home as well. He drover her back home, but she didn't have the money to pay for the return journey.

And he told me how he no longer works the lucrative Friday and Saturday nights because of the racial abuse he receives.

I felt sorry for him, a normal guy just trying to earn a crust and up against it at every turn so I tipped him a tenner. The auld feller was so pathetically grateful.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Perhaps...

I rarely if ever donate money or give stuff away of financial worth / value to me as money is always a concern and I'm particular about my gear.

Generally if I wish to get rid of something I'll try to sell it if it has value. I've given away a lot of stuff I couldn't sell, but any altruism is limited as my primary motive is to make space without wasting the things I'm getting rid of. The incentives for giving stuff away rather than binning it being concern for the environment / a slightly bizarre empathy for inanimate objects but it's good to know that the charities or individuals it's gone to will benefit.

Not really philanthropy but others benefit as a byproduct. I will sometimes give stuff away to specific people in unsolicited reciprocation for help / similar generosity but again that's not really philanthropic either..

That said, despite earning little and being constantly worried about money I'm not blinkered to my somewhat privileged position (being able-bodied, sheltered, fed and largely debt-free) and do feel a growing drive to help others who are genuinely deserving / in need. I'm barely capable of looking after myself so I try to help others in small, spontaneous ways when able as I largely lack the time, energy or consistancy to commit to anything more.

I've bought food for the occasional homeless person if they look legit but never give them money any more for obvious reasons. I refitted a neighbour's bathroom cabinet last year (an overtly small job that turned into a mission thanks to my own shortcomings), and gave her a hand clearing a relative's garden a while ago. She's a very nice, caring, generous person so I couldn't not help when I'm able and it feels good to give something back when I often find myself so reliant on others..

I'd really like to volunteer for some charity work and there are a few cycle-based initiatives in Oxford I'd certainly have a poke around if I ever get back to living there.

As I've got older I've certainly become less guarded; which works both ways. I'm far less likely to quietly suck it up if someone pisses me off, but also really try to be pleasant, considerated and courteous by default / towards those who deserve it as well.

Really a separate subject but it's interesting to see a lot of people coveting minimalism; I'm very much the same and over the past three years have got rid of so much stuff from the family home of 50yrs.. mainly because of the physical obstruction, mental baggage / future demand potential and visual noise that excess stuff creates.

I wonder if this is a personal age thing, or if it's more generational because we're (hopefully) coming out the other end of an era of unprecedented consumption..?

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I collected many clothes due to cycling, golfing, bird watching etc.....all needed different outfits for summer or winter.
Now ill health has put paid to all that I have 3 double wardrobes full of quality gear.....plus various winter/summer footwear.
My daughter is taking the lot to charity shops (minus anything my SiL or grandson wants.

Drago

Legendary Member
As well as being more considerate and generous to those that deserve it...

...I find that with advancing age that my tolerance for bullsheet is dropping.

So while I'm nicer to people at one end of the scale, I'm more likely to give both barrels to twits at the other end of it.

Yin and yang. The universal balance is maintained.

Well I had more disposable income when I was working. My charity giving did get a bit out of hand so I had to cut back on that a bit.

Top Bottom