Are Councils at Fault for Potholes etc. in Roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

James Loxley

What do you think? Is the appalling state of UK roads down to the fact the council aren't spending the money they are given wisely? Or are they simply not being given enough money?

classic33

Leg End Member
Not enforcing the rules already in place with regards contractors reinstating the road surface to a comparable level of the surrounding area is a bigger issue.
Its also losing them money.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Short term patching with inferior materials = long term problems.

On the turning hammerhead [on the industrial estate outside the office, where HGVs do side reverse turns] the surface degraded to the gravel base before the council did repairs following a series of complaints. the adopted highway of 40mm of hot rolled asphalt on 80mm of binder course on the sub base was replaced by a man with a vibrating plate tamping down the gravel and dust, then covering it with what appeared to be half an inch of pavement spec tarmac... it'll last a couple of weeks at best.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not all roads fall under one authority, different classes of road have separate funding. M-ways and A roads Highways/county council, B roads/streets local council and they constantly bicker.:cursing: The road tax just goes into the public purse and not much of it goes to road up-keep.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Up here, the trunk roads are Highway Authority with Northumberland County Council responsible for everything else... they've 'sold' the maintenance contract to the lowest bidder- a guarantee of quality.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Last spring all the roads in my area had signs up to say they were going to the the “stone chipping thing”, the signs are still up and still no work done. If I report a hole it is done in a few days, but the roads in my area Test Valley are a disgrace.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
[QUOTE 3042653, member: 45"]Funding is cut, so they resort to cheap repairs.[/QUOTE]
Pay out and fix first time. Or pay over and over again for more than the first amount.

In my area its all been farmed out under PFI from the council and I have to say despite my scepticism they did a good job during the flooding. Every road in the county is due to be resurfaced under the plan over the next 25 years and so far the ones they have done appear to be good quality. Having said that it isn't cheap and services elsewhere are undoubtedly suffering to pay for it.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
In my area its all been farmed out under PFI from the council and I have to say despite my scepticism they did a good job during the flooding. Every road in the county is due to be resurfaced under the plan over the next 25 years and so far the ones they have done appear to be good quality. Having said that it isn't cheap and services elsewhere are undoubtedly suffering to pay for it.
Old people are more of a short term investment so we can take some from them :smile:
(Joking)

Kies

My road is being pached up today .... Better than avoidingbthe ruts, and shallow potholes. Lets see how long they last

Top Bottom