Are crutches trendy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
At work the other day, I saw a woman walking along, with a boy who was about 8 or 9. He had a pair of crutches - I noticed them partly because they so petite and were very obviously 'child sized' ones.

The odd thing was that he was walking/balancing along the top of a low brick wall, waving his crutches around, laughing.

Even odder, another boy (similar age - brother, friend?) was skipping along behind, also waving a pair of child sized crutches around. Clearly neither of them were having any difficulty walking at that point, no legs in plaster, no limping.

Are they this season's 'in' accessory? There's been a bit of a microscooter trend in the last week, but crutches? I wonder if they are being used in some sort of parcours/street dance situation?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The real cognoscenti will only use them if they have got a parrot for their shoulder first.

thomas

the tank engine
Arch said:
At work the other day, I saw a woman walking along, with a boy who was about 8 or 9. He had a pair of crutches - I noticed them partly because they so petite and were very obviously 'child sized' ones.

The odd thing was that he was walking/balancing along the top of a low brick wall, waving his crutches around, laughing.

Even odder, another boy (similar age - brother, friend?) was skipping along behind, also waving a pair of child sized crutches around. Clearly neither of them were having any difficulty walking at that point, no legs in plaster, no limping.

Are they this season's 'in' accessory? There's been a bit of a microscooter trend in the last week, but crutches? I wonder if they are being used in some sort of parcours/street dance situation?

If they had a broken leg it would probably have been pinned...and therefore no plaster.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
thomas said:
If they had a broken leg it would probably have been pinned...and therefore no plaster.

And if they had a broken leg (both of them?) would they be skipping along, and walking along the tops of walls?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Wow...

That's the sort of thing I was wondering about - using crutches as an aid to urban gymnastics, is it the next cool thing?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Arch said:
Wow...

That's the sort of thing I was wondering about - using crutches as an aid to urban gymnastics, is it the next cool thing?

It could be - but the interesting thing is that because Shannon is so good, a lot of people don't believe he's actually disabled. The skateboard-and-crutches thing is how he gets about, and it's pretty efficient as well as achingly hip (no pun intended)...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
no sooner to I cast mine off and they become fashionable.

theclaud said:
It could be - but the interesting thing is that because Shannon is so good, a lot of people don't believe he's actually disabled. The skateboard-and-crutches thing is how he gets about, and it's pretty efficient as well as achingly hip (no pun intended)...

In some ways it doesn't matter if he is disabled or not. The man has skilz! ;)

Anyway, in some ways he is more able than a lot of 'able' people!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
magnatom said:
In some ways it doesn't matter if he is disabled or not. The man has skilz! ;)

Anyway, in some ways he is more able than a lot of 'able' people!

This is quite true - the skateboard/crutch thing is faster than your average cyclist. But a lot of his art is about disability, and people's responses to it...

Top Bottom