Are cycle helmets actually safe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hackbike 666 said:
Copyright BM 1980

Is u acoosing me of plagereaism?

Gibbyent

I tripped and fell down the stairs when I happened to be wearing my helmet. I am sure it prevented a fatal head injury. I now always wear my helmet when going up or down stairs. I think anyone who doesn't is asking for it.

martint235

Dog on a bike
At the risk of being flamed for adding a serious comment to this thread: about 15 years ago I went head first over the bars into the back of a tipper truck at about 25mph. I wasn't wearing a helmet. I picked up 17 stitches just above my forehead and 10 stitches on the back of my head when I bounced off the truck and back on to the road. In A&E the doctor stitching me up asked why I wasn't wearing a helmet and I asked if it would have helped at all. His response was that a cheap helmet would have made things much worse and they would have been picking pieces of helmet out of my head. He said a well made helmet would probably have prevented my needing stitches BUT they did not know how much effect the transference of force through the helmet would have had on my spine.

So it seems a toss up whether a helmet is any use at all. I do wear one nowadays and for some strange reason I feel much more confident at 40mph on Shooters Hill with one than without although it wouldn't do me any good at all should me and bike part company. :thumbsup:

M

c2c

redredrobin
wish id had one on

i am recently back on my bike after being hit off by a motorist. i sustained a broken clavicle, two broken ribs, and a huge gash to the back of my head. the head wound was stapled up at A&E but after 6 weeks was not healing up. i required further surgery under local anesthetic to correct the wound. i am now left with pretty unsightly scarring around which hair does not grow. ( fortunately i favour the no1 all over hair style.) since the accident i now wear a good quality helmet and wish id had one on at the time.

Top Bottom