Are cycling clubs worth the bother?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I joined a club last year, but didn't get out with them much. They meet 10 miles away, so I either knacker myself out getting there on the bike, and get dropped instantly (no fun) or do the 20 mile round trip in the car with the bike in the back (doesn't seem right?).

I now go where I want, when I want, as fast or slow as I want, and I am always doing the pace, and there's no hiding in the pack.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I like the idea of joining a club but am too conscious of my "rotund" shape :thumbsup:
Could probably keep up on the flat with the slower groups but would get dropped like a brick at the mere suggestion of an incline :sad:

i started riding with the ctc in the 70's. Clubruns were 20 - 30 riders. now i'm in two clubs, the local ctc and a racing club. the racing club is more to my iding style cos there's less messing around,and rides are home by mid afternoon but as my health is preventing me from racing i'm not planning on staying with them much longer cos there's little point maintaining that level of fitness. The ctc numbers have dwindled and my son has started riding for fitness so most of my rides are with him. the only club events i ride are the standard rides over 50, 100 and 150 miles.I used to organise the 200 mile overnight ride round the lakes but because i can't do it this year due to the state of my health , it's been cancelled, which has left me a bit annoyed as i'd offered to ride to show the route without having the responsibility.
so now i tend to do my own thing if my son isn't out, Probably doing the 200 next week, solo, should be fun! they are good for learning group riding and bike maintainence and it's good to be able to sit in after you've done your bit, i think it's a case of finding one that meets your needs and sticking with them, they all offer something different.The ctc has almost as many women riding as men, that is when they're not in remote places at the other side of the world on tour.

Randochap

Senior hunter
I am a club member and have served on the executive for the last 4 years, as a regional coordinator.

It is time consuming work that occasionally seems like a full-time job during the main season.

Yet he satisfaction derived seeing people enjoy the rides and the close friendships formed on events and at club social occasions is priceless.

I was just moments ago reading a wonderful thank-you card from one of our most experienced riders, for the event I just hosted last weekend.

Unless one is a completely antisocial, it's hard not to be heartened by such relationships.

speccy1

I now go where I want, when I want, as fast or slow as I want, and I am always doing the pace, and there's no hiding in the pack.[/quote]

That`s exactly the way I like it too:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Sittingduck said:
I like the idea of joining a club but am too conscious of my "rotund" shape :wacko:
yebbut, nobbut, you've been on a club run and enjoyed it. As forty people did last night in the rain. It's all a question of how it's arranged.
I've gone out with a lot of clubs. I've only once thought 'this isn't for me' and that was with a club that is very popular, and has a fine record of volunteer effort. Clubs vary wildly. Finding one that suits you may take more than one go. And, if you don't find one that suits you, but hanker after company, you can always start your own....

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Speaking personally, I'm a non-club girl. I'm quite slow (av 10mph excluding photo stops) and I just feel too self-conscious cycling with anyone except the husband really. I feel like I hinder them and spoil their ride. I like cycling alone as well. I just don't fancy joining a club.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
yello said:
I hope you're all emailing Matt with your comments and not just responding here!
Doubtless he's reading this. Unless Future Publishing has now barred access to Cycle Chat! And they wouldn't do that, would they....................................?

Randochap

Senior hunter
gavintc said:
Which is my point - this thread is in the wrong place.

It is full of people who like to be on their own.

I agree. The club I mentioned above is a rando (audax) club. Touring, I much prefer to go it alone.

So, I guess that means I have need for a social life and a side that enjoys solitary pursuits.

The nice thing about touring is that I don't have to follow a route sheet and get anywhere in a prescribed time. And, riding alone, there's no argument about where and when I'll stop and which road I'll take.

Top Bottom