Are Diesels "Green"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
[QUOTE 1585558"]
I believe that there's one at the University of Birmingham.
[/quote]

I believe the Swindon one is the first commercial one open to the public, although I could be wrong.

montyboy

My car is a diesel, but it's a kind of silver colour, rather than being green.

They are not all silver though.....I have a black one :hello:

subaqua

What’s the point
They're good for local air quality, but making the hydrogen requires enormous amounts of energy.

not often i agree with User482, but on this he is bang on the money. a lovely clean fuel to use but has a dirty filthy production issue. bit like electrickery.

as somebody alluded to further up, the only green car is one that isn't made.

subaqua

What’s the point
I have a diesel car and thankfully it is an older one without a diesel particulate filter fitted. It is used for quite a lot of short journeys. I work with a colleague whom used to have a Mazda diesel fitted with a DPF and it was always causing grief going into limp home mode, going into the main stealer etc. I probably pay a bit more road tax but I can live with that as modern high pressure common rail diesels can be troublesome enough without some other device that requires attention if the car is not used correctly (I wonder how many car salesmen mention this when selling them). I am just really surprised that newer technology is not as widely spread as it could be, as internal combustion engines waste a lot of energy through the heat produced ingniting the fuel. Then again it is possibly not in the car manufacturers/oil companies interests to do so.

italian tune up every so often is what the technician at mercedes told me to do with my MB engined DPF and Cat equipped car.

waggoner

There seems to be many reports out there that think diesel emissions contain 2 of the most carcinogenic chemicals to be found...so more diesel cars will mean more cancer....

Peteaud

Veteran
My car is a 3 cyl 1.2 petrol. 54mpg. (supermini) that goes to work & back and thats it.

Everyday i am overtaken by big saloons (Audi,BMW etc) and 4x4's with only 1 (the driver) in them.

Regularly see an Audi Q7 with only the driver in it.:angry:

Crankarm

Guru
Well my aging diesel car 10 year old does 60mpg which suits me just fine. Cheaper tax as well as it is Euro 3 or 4 compliant. Pertrol engines still chuck out some pretty harmful noxious chemicals - benzene and they are no where near as ecumenical as diesel engines.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
My car is a 3 cyl 1.2 petrol. 54mpg. (supermini) that goes to work & back and thats it.

Everyday i am overtaken by big saloons (Audi,BMW etc) and 4x4's with only 1 (the driver) in them.

Regularly see an Audi Q7 with only the driver in it.:angry:

I love catching those buggers up when I get to the town I'm heading for.

A classic example is when I ride my motorbike into Chichester along the two-lane A27. I pull out to overtake something and these tw@ts come right up my arse because I won't go belting along at 100mph.

5 minutes later I filter past them in the huge traffic jam that always materializes in the morning rush-hour.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My old Passat diesel B6 model emitted 156 grams of CO2 per kilometre. The new B7 model I got three weeks ago emits 105 gms/km. Seems pretty good to me and I'm saving £135 a month on company car tax, which is paying for my new Tricross disc. That's even greener!

Top Bottom