Are disc brakes and rotors standard ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The rotors on my subway seem very thick, theres hardly any room for the tektro novella brakes means thre is not much room for adjustment which means its a PITA to get them running sweet .
Do calipers of different brands have more pad spacing or are different rotors a different thickness?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Bit of both, can't be more specific than that as I don't know precise details. I've been using Deore discs in SRAM Rival HYD calipers for a year (I know I know poor form)

Kajjal

Guru
Going by your link they are very basic cable disc brakes that need constant adjustment and work OK. There are better brakes available but just be careful as upgrading to a more expensive bike may be a better solution.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Going by your link they are very basic cable disc brakes that need constant adjustment and work OK. There are better brakes available but just be careful as upgrading to a more expensive bike may be a better solution.
More expensive bike .... im hoping to upgrade my roadie next year so at the most it would be a caliper upgrade .

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I dont know these tectros. Based on lots of miles with Avid BBs? Mechanical calipers need fettling. Once the pads are a bit worn you'll get more adjustment. But it only takes a tiny error in brake mount tolerance by the manufacturer to make life tough.

Klassikbike

Thats one of the cons of mechanical discs.
Just get some cheap Shimano Hydro brakes and it will be set and forget (Hydro disc brakes auto adjust the callipers to the discs.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Shimano pair £335 merlin cycles

SRAM Apex(preorder) around £180 each lever,Rival dearer
Bike was only £300 to start with , had another play and its better than it was but i might get some avid bb5/ bb7s come xmas .
drop bar mtb.jpg

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Do calipers of different brands have more pad spacing or are different rotors a different thickness?
They can vary.
There was a case a few years back, when someone was selling bikes with Tektro Lyra brakes and Deore discs (IIRC), and the Shimano discs were thinner than the official Tektro discs, with the result that after a bit of wear, if you pulled too hard, the cam in the brake would go over the top with a click, and you'd have no braking until you'd let go of the lever and started pulling again.

Top Bottom