Are driving aids dodgy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Semi related but I recall someone telling a tale of the auto tyre pressure sensors on his car. At first sight a rather good feature, but apparently one had gone wrong and it was many hundreds of pounda to fix, but get his, apparently because he had them it became an MOT fail if they were faulty, so the very exisitance of a so say safety aid became a huge pain. It is a 2nd hand story, but troubling

Why troubling, is it just the thought of spending money. I think they are a good safety aid, I also know of very few people who check tyre pressures between services.

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5276223, member: 259"]Seriously? Do they really check tyre pressure monitoring systems in MOTs? That's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Yes they do, I do not feel the same as you about it.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I am not getting all this, maybe it is an age thing.

You may be right, but............ I too enjoy driving, we spend as much time as we can driving around (mainland) Europe, from Sweden to Southern Spain, France to Hungary and all points in-between. I shudder to think how many miles I have driven, since I was 17.............

There are some driving aids I love (auto-wipers, auto-gearbox, cruise control, speed limiter, and more), but, there are some I am not so keen on. Electric Handbrake being one of them, yes, hill starts are simple, you just drive off, but, they do not give the "flexibility" of an old fashioned hand brake, when manouevering in a confined space.

Does this make me an "old dinosaur"?

screenman

Legendary Member
I had electric handbrake on the last car but not in the current one, I miss it and am looking to change back to a car with it.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Hate adaptive cruise control - when someone cuts in front of you the car lurches as it suddenly slows down, sometimes enough to wake you up. Far easier to stay in the outside lane with the foot down, only pulling over for BMWs, Audis, Police cars and Bedford Astramax vans.
Automatic braking occasionally gets it wrong, it thinks you're about to clip something, the entire dashboard turns red and the brakes slam on. Got a fair fleg the first time and never really trusted that car afterwards.
Automatic headlights are good, except my current car doesn't have them so I just drive around with the headlights on all the time so I don't forget.
Lane departure systems are amusing for all of 15 minutes, then you switch them off.
Similarly, who actually has the volume up on their sat navs? Nothing more irritating.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I like syncromesh

Tin Pot

Guru
Mrs D's old Pious had a self parking feature. Never tried it, because I know how to park a car.

What I think is hilarious is that whilst the world should be realising that the vast number of moronic psychopaths out there incompetently weaving tonnes of steel through our streets simply should not be allowed to drive...society is finding ways to keep these killers out there.

Mind you, if there is a button we can press to slap the lunatic senseless as they play with their phone on an on ramp, I’d be up for that “driving aid”.

Top Bottom