Are ebikes (finally) mainstream?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Something else I hadn't grasped.

It's a good thing I'm not in charge of the net zero project because we'd still be stuck with coal.
I just thought of a way to (forgive the pun!) potentially store surplus energy from offshore wind turbines for times when there is not enough wind - use electrolysis to generate hydrogen from sea water. Store that and use it later to generate electricity. They are already working on the idea!

And also - modern ebikes have a range of assist levels.
I started off using the Sport level but quickly dropped down to Tour. When I have to slow down due to people ahead - e.g. slower bikes on tow paths I found I was dropping to Eco - or Off - and then forgetting and thinking I was feeling the effort a bit - about 30 minutes later!!

So - I am now working on my normal being Eco - I only use Tour into a strong wind
There have been 2 occaisions where I have used Turbo due to Asthma problems (OK - not really Asthma - more stupidity of not taking morning inhaler and going out riding!!!!)
Second time was due to it pouring down and freezing and I wanted to get home!

There is also a lot of research showing that ebikes do ive significant levels of exercise - OK - clearly not at the same level as none assisted but as ebikes often go out more often than they would otherwise then it can level up

The research is easy to find - but here is some to start with
https://www.treehugger.com/study-finds-e-bike-riders-get-much-exercise-riders-regular-bikes-4857418

And invariably if you want a decent range a fair amount of time is going to be spent with the assist switched off.
It does help!!!
Personally I find on Tour mode I can do about 40 miles
Switch it down to Eco and I can do 40 miles and still have 2 bars left
I presume that on Off (???) I could ride around the world - and it would be me that failed not the battery!!!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I noted around Poitou-Charantes a couple of years ago that there were a lot of elderly Decathlon steel MTB’s being used as shopping hacks, yet come Sunday morning it was club run time on some really nice road bikes, but it was nice to see that the old bikes weren’t just getting dumped but were still a useful item

Possibly due to the fact that the old Decathlon steel MTB's are actually far more useful and practical bikes? Modern road bikes are pretty useless for anything other than fast rides on good roads in fine dry weather. Versatile is something they are not.

fatjel

Veteran
I see loads more these days the only other bike I see on the mountain roads are a giant e bike and around town I would say most are e bikes. I remember doing a 300km audax on a Saturday and going out on my ebike on the Sunday . I suspect there were many judging me a lazy c**t

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
If my Cannondale Treadwell would just occasionally turn into an E-Bike for those hills that kill, i'd be well pleased as the rest of the time, I don't see them as necessary for most.
I see quite a few on the Swansea seafront but if you are only cycling on that, they are pointless as it is like a billiard table.
Good for oldies/partially disabled ppl/injured who want to keep on cycling.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If my Cannondale Treadwell would just occasionally turn into an E-Bike for those hills that kill, i'd be well pleased as the rest of the time, I don't see them as necessary for most.
I see quite a few on the Swansea seafront but if you are only cycling on that, they are pointless as it is like a billiard table.
Good for oldies/partially disabled ppl/injured who want to keep on cycling.

I agree promenade cycling, apart from the wind if there is any, is easy.

However, unless those cyclists live in a beach hut, the chances are they will have hills to negotiate between their home and the seafront, most likely on the way back given that few people live below sea level.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I agree promenade cycling, apart from the wind if there is any, is easy.

However, unless those cyclists live in a beach hut, the chances are they will have hills to negotiate between their home and the seafront, most likely on the way back given that few people live below sea level.
That why I said ‘if only cycling on the seafront’ and Swansea seafront coupled with Port Talbot is pretty long and flat.

Top Bottom