Are ebikes (finally) mainstream?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've been struck by the number of ebikes I've seen on my last few short shopping excursions.

Of about a dozen bikes I saw today, about nine or 10 had motors.

Which leads me to wonder if ebikes now have permanent traction among cyclists.

Since starting ebiking about 10 years ago, I've seen a number of false dawns in that respect.

But this time it does look to me as if ebikes have finally caught on.

This thread is in General Cycling because I'm interested in the thoughts of all cyclists and road users, not just ebikers.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Certainly seeing more around here. Surprising number ridden by younger people who appear to be reasonably fit and healthy so maybe the temptation of cycling without so much effort on the hills is tempting more and more.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
They are certainly popular with the lifestyle market around here, both on road and MTB. A few older riders I know love that they can still get around on their bikes with the extra assistance.

On a downside we do have a growing number of people popping in to the workshop who like tell us how fast theirs is now they've messed with it. Interestingly they are not of a single social type.

ETA I hope the latter don't spoil it for everyone else.

On my commute into London I see loads along with e-scooters but where I live the cheap ever present transport is still the Carrera MTB ( Halfords Basildon must be making a fortune) followed by e-scooters., more e-scooters than e-bikes.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
On my commute into London I see loads along with e-scooters but where I live the cheap ever present transport is still the Carrera MTB ( Halfords Basildon must be making a fortune) followed by e-scooters., more e-scooters than e-bikes.

Yep, brilliant marketing job by Halfords.

It must be about the only bike which a child will ask his parents for by name.

My local bike shop regularly gets people in who ask for a Carrera, having no real interest in terms such as road, hybrid, or mountain.

I suspect that's one of the reasons why Halfords offers Carrera ebikes, so they are nearly always in a position to answer 'yes' to the buyer's request.

Down in this corner of Kent, I have certainly noticed a lot of ebikes around. Mostly people of a certain age, on upper market ebikes.
A friend, who is a regular bike rider but who would probably not call herself a "cyclist", has just added a swytch bike kit to her bike. I will be interested to ask her what she thinks when I next see her.

CXRAndy

Guru
There is exponential growth of ebikes, hence scarcity of bikes in shops etc. Partly a reason I went direct to China to get the bike I wanted. The time I ordered it, winter was here so no concerns with 4 months waiting.

Most big retailers are seeing huge demand for ebikes, far more than normal bikes

Wiggle ebikes sales from last year up 355%
Same for Halfords etc etc

Drago

Legendary Member
Halfords reckoned late last year they were shifting more Carrera ebikes than all the other brands put together. Amazinf if try, but even of not theyre clearly the nations biggest high street bike retailer and are clearly selling every unit they can get their hands on.

Certainly in these parts though, a comfortable majority of every bicycle I see is still a pure human powered one. Ebike sightings arent rare, but certainly uncommon enough that I take particular notice when I do spot one in the wild.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In London. Absolutely.
However mainly by delivery riders. Uber Eats, Stuart, Deliveroo etc. But I am seeing more numbers of regular cyclists using them.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Yes!

Down here in Zummerzet you will see everything from a 1970s Puch to a Brommie, to a heavyweight ebike and many more all using the logical transport mode in a middle sized market town.

I love it!

battered

Guru
Yes, they are mainstream. My pal has just bought one, he is nobody's idea of a cyclist but he's using it to potter around town in the summer instead of getting the car out. It means he doesn't have to worry about the breathalyser on the way home. It came from Germany, was made in China and cost under £500 delivered to his door. 15mph max when pedalling, if he strolls along it does 10-12mph and has an adequate range for trips to the shops and friends. I can see them becoming the 21st century answer to the lightweight motorcycles that were popular between ~1930 and 1960. Low speed, no road tax, no helmet law, minimal running costs and perfectly adequate for urban commuting and local use.

I see more and more around in london.
Positive I think if they are an alternative to cars.
One of my neighbours, up a dirty great big london dead end hill, is even thinking of getting an electric cargo bike.
Less positive I think if they are being snapped up by folk who could otherwise pedal for whatever it is they need to do - there's a strong gadget/gizmo/consumerist element I think to SOME folks use of ebikes - and they aren't even all that green at all if used in such a way.
Must admit, at the risk of being jumped on by the likes of jowwy, being a bit concerned for all sorts of reasons when being passed by a pretty young fit looking bod on an ebike.
So, on balance, great, if used appropriately.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
In Berkshire, yes - and if you want to start a business, the ebike business is booming
I spoke to an ebike shop owner recently and he said there is good money to be made on selling ebikes and the retailers can get the stock fast enough, and the profits are good.

You're right - I see e-scooters everywhere when I commute through Basildon (Leigh-->Laindon and back), moreso than e-bikes. The orange Spin hire ones seem very popular. I wonder if hire e-scooters have a better chance of success than hire bikes, as they are GPS-fenced and can lock themselves up if you try to ride them outside their operating zone so seem more secure? That plus the absence of canals in Basildon for scrotes to chuck 'em in.

I do see a wide range of folks using an equally wide range of e-bikes (though as with analogue bikes, Carreras are the most common) and oddly, mainly on the flat! Hang around or ride along Southend Seafront any time when it's not raining and you'll see dozens of e-bikes. Now I come to think about it, the proportion of ebikes definitely goes up with the temperature. Colder days don't necessarily lure out the leisure e-bike riders but do still get the rest of us.

When I was last chatting in my nLBS (looking for a vintage-friendly 1" threaded headset spacer, thanks Les' Cycles!) they were saying that adult e-bike sales were outstripping bikes at the moment and that business was indeed booming, governed more by availability of supply than demand.

Top Bottom