Are ebikes (finally) mainstream?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
What level of exercise does a typical ebike rider get? I know it depends how hard they pedal but even a slower ebike rider must get some benefit from slowly turning the pedals. Better than sitting in a car anyway.
The majority of people who ride bikes don't give a fig about any exercise benefits. They just want a cheap method of transport and the easier to ride the better.

If you use the Mahle eBikemotion-powered bikes (Ribble, Orbea, Bianchi and others I forget) you can use a heart rate monitor to control when the assist kicks in, effectively riding to a target heart rate so you can get a proper workout and a good sweat on - you just end up farther away from home when you're done :laugh: For an even more taxing workout, just turn the assist off.

Or just use it as a viable car alternative, suitable for a wider range of people and enjoy continually fresh legs.

boydj

Legendary Member
Who cares whether their mainstream or not, if you want one get one. To me they're a moped so I'm not interested but I have no feelings either way as to what other people ride.

Serious misunderstanding here. To be legal an e-bike has to be 'Pedal-assist' - there's no throttle, and assistance cuts out above just over 15mph.

I've been a 'roadie' for many years, but old age and a dodgy prostrate has meant that I'm unable to keep up on club runs, even with the slow group. A recently bought e-bike has meant that I can resume club runs. The power is only used to help manage the hills and without the power the bike performs like an ordinary road bike.

For me the e-bike means I can still get out and do longer runs which are no longer possible on my standard bike and I'm sure will keep my cycling for a few more years yet.

Modern e-bikes are a godsend for older or infirm cyclists, and if they encourage younger people who might not otherwise cycle, then so much the better.

The majority of people who ride bikes don't give a fig about any exercise benefits. They just want a cheap method of transport and the easier to ride the better.
I can't say I agree with that, sure the fella's you see trudging to work covered in s**t at stupid o'clock in the morning may be, but all the so called lycra clad hero speed demon type I see out there giving it some are surely doing it for fitness, I know I do.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'll have to keep an eye out the next time I see a moped, I've never seen moped riders pedal. Maybe they only do it when no-one's looking. Just as well you don't care what other people ride I guess :laugh:

I'm old enough to remember mopeds with pedals, I take it they're not required now. Have a look at these images.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=Norman+nippy&atb=v248-1&iax=images&ia=images

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes, indeed. In fact, given it wasn't expensive in the first place, I probably owe them more money now.

Pleased to hear it.

Much as I like shiny new bikes, your hybrid is an excellent example of how a relatively cheap but sound bike can give many years and many miles of good service.

The definition of a moped yrs ago was that it had to be capable of being pedalled,

My Raleigh moped had pedals,

The only way to start the engine was to bump start it by pedalling, although it had a centrifugal clutch so you could then come to rest and it would stay ticking over.

I seem to recall it had a decompression lever on the handlebars, so you could get up a little speed before compressing the engine to get the bump to make it fire.

It would climb most things, although you often gave it some pedalling as it began to run out of steam towards the top.

D

Deleted member 1258

Pleased to hear it.

Much as I like shiny new bikes, your hybrid is an excellent example of how a relatively cheap but sound bike can give many years and many miles of good service.

My Raleigh moped had pedals,

The only way to start the engine was to bump start it by pedalling, although it had a centrifugal clutch so you could then come to rest and it would stay ticking over.

I seem to recall it had a decompression lever on the handlebars, so you could get up a little speed before compressing the engine to get the bump to make it fire.

It would climb most things, although you often gave it some pedalling as it began to run out of steam towards the top.

Yes, I remember having motorcycles where I had to tickle the carburetor to start them, I never had a moped myself but both my Dad and my Sister had them, Norman Nippies and Mobylettes, plus the converted pedal cycles with the engine on the rear carrier.

Top Bottom