Are forums in decline?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Public internet forums, in one form or another, have been around since Usenet was launched in 1980 - and no doubt there were private network forums before that. The differences between Usenet and places like this are mainly technological and of indifference to the users.

Forums will be around as long as there are computer networks, users to use them and administrators willing to host and maintain them.

MisterStan

Label Required
Also the search function is good.
Shame most people don't use it :whistle:
Search.jpg

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I predict that in the future, we will be using "thought-forums", where you just think yourself into the forum and participate telepathically. I won't, coz it'll probably will happen after my demise.
You read it here first. :thumbsup:

classic33

Leg End Member
I predict that in the future, we will be using "thought-forums", where you just think yourself into the forum and participate telepathically. I won't, coz it'll probably will happen after my demise.
You read it here first. :thumbsup:
www.thoughts.com/forums/ & www.freethought-forum.com/

simon.r

Person
If forums are declining I think one of the reasons is that so many technical questions have been answered.

10 years ago it wouldn't be easy to find the answer to a question like 'how do I bleed a hydraulic disc brake'? Now, a new cyclist wanting the answer to the same question could find numerous forum posts (and numerous 'how to' sites) giving the answer.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
If forums are declining I think one of the reasons is that so many technical questions have been answered.

10 years ago it wouldn't be easy to find the answer to a question like 'how do I bleed a hydraulic disc brake'? Now, a new cyclist wanting the answer to the same question could find numerous forum posts (and numerous 'how to' sites) giving the answer.

Honestly, not the reason, new blood doesn't use this technology any more, it's slow and they don't like the way the information is presented, it takes too long to find things out and they have to work too hard for it. Cycle Chat is fortunate in that its primary catchment area is MAMIL's, Born Agains and the like and they are more likely to be willing to invest the time in a forum.

The stock answer to just about every technical question is 'google it and watch the youtube video on how to do it.' Fortunately we like talking crap to each other, so we avoid that. When I wanted to know how to sort out the rear mech on my bikes and needed an answer *now*, I just googled for the video.

Top Bottom