Are forums in decline?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Also, CC is really well modded, and I don't just mean for argy-bargey. I've stopped bothering with the main skiing chat forum as the threads are in a total mess - people are always putting random threads into the biggest part of the forum - rather as if people here were to perpetually put touring questions in Commuting or techie questions in the chat room - and they never get moved. At least here they get sorted out and reallocated to the correct section. Also the search function is good.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Facebook has lost 80% of its "members" within the last two years, and is expected to "die" within the next two years.
As per the link Albion posted, you have completely misread a study that, even in what it did say, was fundamentally flawed.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bit like joining a gym really. People start with good intentions but soon run out of steam, just get bored or find something else to do.

It probably has something to do with a big increase in cycling numbers. I know I only joined when I started cycling. If/when the numbers plateau I think you'll see it mirrored here.

Learnincurve

I've noticed it myself recently, I go on SA which is one if, if not the, biggest "traditional" forum in in the world, and I would say in the last 3 years or so posts have dropped by 50%.

The answer is Reddit. For those that don't know Reddit is a link sharing site with comments sections on each one. Links are divided into subreddits and upvoted or downvoted. The most heavily upvoted links go to the top of All. Upvotes give you karma points. Comments have a separate up and downvoting set of points. There are lots of phone apps for reddit and there is a divide between people who look at the links on phones and people who comment on them. Reddit was good 2 years ago and then it became the home of the 14 year old American teenager.

It is a hell hole for two reasons. Firstly, what people do most of the time is take something original, rehost it on imgur and then create a reddit link to that imgur without crediting the original creator, sometimes it's original content but this is increasingly rare. The second reason it is the worst place on the internet is that a worryingly large amount of the people who comment are absolute scum, devoid of all empathy. Eugenics, neo-nazism, racism, sexism, people who "hate" religion, people who legitimately hate children, people who think that normal parenting is child abuse, people who refer to their pets as their children - these opinions are not the minority they are the majority and it's a self moderating community, with up and downvotes for posts and these downrigth nasty opinions keep on floating to the top over and over again.

Yes there are a few secret subreddits that are quite nice (there is no real list of subs) , but they are dying. What was the absolute last straw for me was when the sewing subforum that had happily been keeping it's head down and off the radar was invaded by a huge group of kids for a day or so and they made it perfectly clear that they felt that a sub mainly frequented by women did not belong there (because screw you mom) and that as there were more of them than us there was nothing we could do.

edit: I think some hobby forums are surviving when larger ones are not is because the bigger places tend to confine you to one small area and there are too many different aspects of something like cycling for that to work

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
My other forums of interest have become exceedingly quiet recently. They're both smaller in terms of participants and one or two of the main players going quiet or moving on make quite a difference. This place seems more robust as theres a far bigger client base and a good spread ofmpeoplemwho post new stuff as well as responding to it. The other forums at the top of the page here do seem to be much quieter but are newer and I guess still establishing themselves.

hoopdriver

Guru
This is indeed a very well run and active forum. Nice weather and summer would mean fewer people, or people spending less time, posting on forums although I really haven't noticed that here at all.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Well some of us are still here since, the mass " exodus, movement of @Shaun people "

Awarded: Today at 18:40
Seven years in
Wow. You've been with us for seven years. That’s fantastic. Have a trophy for all your hard work!

Top Bottom