Cooker hoods...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The cumulative knowledge of the CC massive can help here.
Are outside vented hob extractor hoods far superior to charcoal filtered ones? Is it worth having an unvented one at all?
Handy for the light above I suppose!
I know little or nothing about them and you lot are better than Google:thumbsup:

You've obviously not been watching the tour on Eurosport, or if you have you've skipped the adverts.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I would choose one that vents to the outside. If you have an outside wall, it really is not a big deal to get a builder to core drill a 125 mm diameter hole through the brickwork. It's a good idea to use smooth bore ductwork rather than spiral curly-wirly that reduces the air flow recklessly.

My two pennies.

stephec

Legendary Member
We had a charcoal one that was replaced by a vented one when the new kitchen was done, I haven't got a clue which is better though. :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Two points, both based on the one my sister has:
  1. Listen to the thing switched on. My sister's sounds like a helicopter taking off. Ridiculously noisy.
  2. Hers has a glass plate at the bottom, which just happens to sit in exactly the wrong position for someone of my height (6' 1"). When I am looking towards it, All I see is the thin edge. Typically, I don't spot it and have headbutted it on at least 3 occasions. Buy something that looks a bit more obvious!

PK99

Legendary Member
The cumulative knowledge of the CC massive can help here.
Are outside vented hob extractor hoods far superior to charcoal filtered ones? Is it worth having an unvented one at all?
Handy for the light above I suppose!
I know little or nothing about them and you lot are better than Google:thumbsup:

A charcoal filtered on is better than nothing - but only just! If you have access to an outside wall then vented is a no brainer.

screenman

Legendary Member
We have a non vented one, it works fine when preparing salads.

In truth they work but not as well as a vented one.

robrich

I'm speaking as someone who has lived with both and only just fitted a non-outside filtered one that purely relies on the charcoal filters.

Ideally you will want an outside filtered one because that is what works best. However a lot relies on the layout of your kitchen and where the hood will be in relation to an outside wall. My current kitchen is open plan and very well ventilated already due to space and window positioning. I declined an outside vent due to the mess and unsightliness of the vent run.

You will need to consider the size of your kitchen, natural ventilation, how many times you're likely to cook sprouts, broccoli, smoked haddock and as ColinJ says, the noise of the thing when it's running.

I've got an Indesit one which works fine if a touch noisy.

Are you ordering through a kitchen supplier or buying yourself? I ordered through Argos but they let me down the day before delivery despite a 6 week order time. Ended up doing what I should have done in the first place and bought from John Lewis. 48 hours from order placed to delivery with the two year guarantee.

One last thing, stainless steel looks nice but is a b**ch to keep clean.

Vented.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's not on an outside wall - hence the question. It would have to be boxed in round 3 walls which would be an arse.
Sorry, I should have said that earlier!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's in a kitchen/diner and the chief cook is concerned that the cooking aromas might be a bit much in a dual use space.

The vented is the best option ....as long as the vent duct is nt to long to the outside wall
You can get a flat (oblong) duct that sits on top the wall units instead of a 4" round duct

Last edited:
Top Bottom