Cooker hoods...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Cooker Hoods.jpg

Brains

Legendary Member

Blimey, if you though cyclist were a bunch of fixated nerds, then we are in the wrong game !

Would this work just running it buy you see what you think first grow just putting information that I have collected for my own plan
What I want is a very simple setup up thinking deep water culture 12 or 8 x 5 gallon buckets easy like this

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts0iaPRuPjM
In 8′x10′ room in groups or 2 or 3 each under 4 X 1000 watt hps Hortilux bulbs just a straight grow
Is there much advantage to sog or scrog or supercroping what’s your take on those methods would I get more yield from any of these procedures all things being equal in the same amount of space and time?
Could you guesstimate percentage of increase in yield in same amount of space and time?
I read an article that yield is defined by the wattage of light 1 pound per 1000 watts if your lucky is this correct?
Going to be growing White Widow Flowering period: 60 days
Indoor yield: 500 g/m2 And or Holy Grail Kush Flowering Time: 8-9 weeks. Yield: 500-650 g/m2
If one has higher or lower gr/m2 does it matter if indoor yield dependent on light?
I was thinking of cloning for 2 weeks and vegging for 7 = 9 weeks using 4 x 2’ x 4’ fluorescent fixtures = 4 warm bulbs and 4 cool bulbs in the closet bedroom I want to keep the smell in one room
(2 weeks cloning 7 weeks vegging = 9 weeks and 9 week flowering perpetual cycle)
Thus eliminating need and care and room and light for a mother plant
That’s what I’m trying to achieve I will be using 4 x 1000 watt Hortilux bulbs for each 3 x 5 gallon or 2 x 5 gallon DWC buckets want maximum yield with least amount of pails how much harvest could pull from each plant
If maximum yield defined by wattage of light 1 pound per 1000 watts if you’re lucky is this correct?
Would it be pointless have 3 x 5 gallons pails at let say .33333 pounds each or 2 x 5 gallon pail at .5 pounds each?
I’ll never get a pound per light do you think?
Just want room in case I get lucky do you think a 5 gallon DWC bucket will hold a plant that’s been 2 weeks cloning 7 weeks vegging and 9 week flowering without getting root bound
Looking for the magic number of pails
Any criticism or suggestion welcome
PS: I read an article that said one gram per watt of light that’s 2.20 pounds and another article said 1 pound per 1000 watts

And you can't have a cooker fan and a log burner in the same room.

Take GC's advice. Through the ceiling and then drill a big hole through each of the rafters, that should be fine. I'm sure that's what he meant.

It's in a kitchen/diner and the chief cook is concerned that the cooking aromas might be a bit much in a dual use space.

Just a thought - perhaps put in a recirculating hood over the cooker and then also an extractor fan on the outside wall.

I find the extractor bit is needed to keep the cooking smell out of the rest of the house and really the recirculating ones are not up to the job on their own.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Love the posts about banging his head, guess he must cook wearing stilts

On a more serious note a decent extractor for the whole area would be my choice. No messing about with ducting and no head banging risk

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Surely there is the answer to your problems, as a now confirmed target audience of at least 1, in the Eurosport TdF ad breaks?

I'm not quite sure where all the vapour goes, though - probably over your feet.

[edit] Oops - just seen that was one of the first responses.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The requirement in the Building Regs for an extract fan in every kitchen, utility, bathroom and shower room is there to make sure that the moisture vapour is removed as close to the source as possible. Cooker hoods that don't extract steam directly outside, from boiling water and cooking, leave all that warm vapour in the house or flat which then condenses on any colder surface, usually under furniture, inside wardrobes and on external walls. Over time, without alternative ventilation these damp surfaces may start to grow mould and encourage wet and dry rot.

So, always fit an extract to outside air in a kitchen , over the cooker hob at the source of the water vapour. Or, wherever you can in the kitchen, as close to the hob as possible.

People don't ventilate their rooms as much as they should because they are concerned about losing heat, if you have the chance put in a heat recovery unit in which recovers up to 90 to 95% of the heat from extracted air from kitchens and bathrooms across a heat exchanger in the unit providing warmed fresh air into living rooms and bedrooms [bit more ducting required but it's worth it]. The heat recovery part can be turned off in summer when you want to cool your kitchen down.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
And you can't have a cooker fan and a log burner in the same room.

Take GC's advice. Through the ceiling and then drill a big hole through each of the rafters, that should be fine. I'm sure that's what he meant.

I was fortunate in that my optimum vent run followed the lie of the rafters so I didn't have to cut through a stack of them.

GC

Globalti

Legendary Member
Archie_tect has it. Modern houses have very little ventilation because they don't have chimneys so stale moist air hangs around, eventually finding its way into the attic where it condenses and causes damage. In old days every room had a fireplace and coal was cheap so houses were much better ventilated as a fire sucks huge volumes of air up the flue.

A filter hood doesn't remove cooking steam from the room so an extractor has to be the best option, every time.

(Unless your house was built by the same bloke who built ours and the kitchen cooker hood is vented straight into the garage!)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Love the posts about banging his head, guess he must cook wearing stilts
If you are talking about me ... the damn glass plate is at about 5' 10 " from the kitchen floor, which is level with my eyes. I leaned forward to look at what was cooking and the edge of the plate smacked me across the top of my nose on one occasion, and my forehead another couple of times. It isn't so much of a hazard when the fan is switched on because the thing is so loud that I cannot possibly be unaware that the hood is there.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If you are talking about me ... the damn glass plate is at about 5' 10 " from the kitchen floor, which is level with my eyes. I leaned forward to look at what was cooking and the edge of the plate smacked me across the top of my nose on one occasion, and my forehead another couple of times.

What you need is a helmet...

(Now watch this thread spiral out of control!)

GC

Top Bottom