Are gatorskins hard to fit!?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:thumbsdown:xx(:angry::wacko:

I've had a few punctures lately and so it was time to change the tyres on my Ribble. No problem. I've used gatorskins before (shop fitted when new) so that's what I went for. Last night I decided to change the back one (the worst) before todays commute. AAARRRGGHHHHH! I just could not get the b*gger on! :angry:

Are gatorskins usually a problem getting on when new? Having broken one of my good tyre levers and pinched one of the tubes (I was running out) I gave up and took a gatorskin off my other bike and that fitted no problem.

So what is the best way of getting these new tyre on without giving myself a hernia!!? :blink:

Coco

I just put marathon pluses on my commuter and they have a reputation for being tough. I (mostly) followed the instructions at Spa cycles 

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/index.php

Perhaps this method will work with Gators too?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I just put marathon pluses on my commuter and they have a reputation for being tough. I (mostly) followed the instructions at Spa cycles

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/index.php

Perhaps this method will work with Gators too?

That's a good video! :smile:

I'm glad no-one was around to see me last night. I was in the garage cursing and swearing (low pitch this time!), with sweat coming off me trying to get the tyre on!

I'll try his technique later, but I've also bought one of these as a back up!

GrasB

Veteran
Did you buy a wire bead or a folding? The latter are far easier to get on & I can usually do those by hand, no real hints & tips for those as I've never had a problem. For the wire bead I find I need a completely deflated the inner tube & use some water to stick the tube to the inside of the tyre (else you will pinch the tube), then very carefully edge the the tyre on lever width by leaver width.

potsy

Rambler
I took M+ off to give the gators a go,no problems fitting them but soon put the M+ back on after a few punctures in quick succession.
Sounds like you need to MU mags,or try some talc on the rims/tyres.
tongue.gif

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I took M+ off to give the gators a go,no problems fitting them but soon put the M+ back on after a few punctures in quick succession.
Sounds like you need to MU mags,or try some talc on the rims/tyres.
tongue.gif

Oi! I'm all man! :angry::smile:

It may have also had something to do with it being after 10pm at night, I'm sleep deprived (6 month old) and I'd had a couple of wines! :wacko::biggrin:

However, I used to have M+ on another bike and I never had any problems with them.

zacklaws

Guru
Only if the "Gator's" still in its skin and it takes an objection to be wrapped round a wheel rim.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
That video from Spa on M+ is good, but I came across another good advice when I first put mine on.

It's the last bit that is really hard to get on, but if you pump the tube slightly at this stage, it helps to life the tyre bead over the rim. I've never had trouble getting tyres using this method and always used my hands instead of levers.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

That video from Spa on M+ is good, but I came across another good advice when I first put mine on.

It's the last bit that is really hard to get on, but if you pump the tube slightly at this stage, it helps to life the tyre bead over the rim. I've never had trouble getting tyres using this method and always used my hands instead of levers.

I tried that. It did help a bit, but there was still a fair bit of rim that I couldn't get in. :sad:

Broadside

Guru
Magnatom, I've fitted Gators to my own bike and friends bike in the last couple of weeks. I can tell you that all four tyres were an absolute b!tch to get on. Lots of perseverance and sore thumbs rolling on the tyre and you will get there. Each one took about 15-20 mins, I was just on the verge of trying some talc or Fairy Liquid on the last bit but they eventually went on.

I have heard that once they have been on for a while and inflated then they stretch a bit and are then easier to get on/off subsequently, but I don't know if this is true or not.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
That's a good video! :smile:

I'm glad no-one was around to see me last night. I was in the garage cursing and swearing (low pitch this time!), with sweat coming off me trying to get the tyre on!

I'll try his technique later, but I've also bought one of these as a back up!

Wimp :laugh:

I don't remember having any problems fitting them, but that was nearly 3000 miles ago...

Top Bottom