Are goods from abroad still coming in this country?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
My Cannondale Carbon Synapse was made in Taiwan - isn't that China?

It’s complicated.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan#Political_and_legal_status

The political and legal statuses of Taiwan are contentious issues. The People's Republic of China (PRC) claims that the Republic of China government is illegitimate, referring to it as the "Taiwan Authority".[129][130] The ROC has its own currency, widely accepted passport, postage stamps, internet TLD, armed forces and constitution with an independently elected president. It has not formally renounced its claim to the mainland, but ROC government publications have increasingly downplayed this historical claim.[131]

Internationally, there is controversy on whether the ROC still exists as a state or a defunct state per international law due to the lack of wide diplomatic recognition.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's just a re run of the 'Jap Crap' of our youth , renamed every few years depending on who is making all our stuff at the time.
Yes, I too remember that, 'Japo de Monte' but what has happened to Japanese goods in the interim? It's now a byword for quality. China is slowly moving up the ladder.

Drago

Legendary Member
The clue will be in the queues outside every food shop, followed by food riots.
Unlikely.

The UK produces more food than it consumes. Currently, instead of scoffing it all ourselves we export a little over half of it. Profit before strategic reslience.

If there were a food emergency of that scale we could simply cease exporting it and eat it within our own shores. If that were to happen there would still still he a surplus.

So while I would normally nod sagely at your writings, on this occasion I must respectfully disagree. There simply would be no food riots because, ultimately, in the event that food ceased to cross international boundaries we would still have more than we could eat produced within our own shores.

Realigning domestic distribution networks would be far more problematic than the actual availability of stuff to eat.

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Unlikely.

The UK produces more food than it consumes. Currently, instead of scoffing it all ourselves we export a little over half of it. Profit before strategic reslience.

If there were a food emergency of that scale we could simply cease exporting it and eat it within our own shores. If that were to happen there would still still he a surplus.

So while I would normally nod sagely at your writings, on this occasion I must respectfully disagree. There simply would be no food riots because, ultimately, in the event that food ceased to cross international boundaries we would still have more than we could eat produced within our own shores.

Realigning domestic distribution networks would be far more problematic than the actual availability of stuff to eat.

I tried fact checking the bold, the government agrees with you and the rest varies so wildly I can't make head nor tails of it .

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Yes, I too remember that, 'Japo de Monte' but what has happened to Japanese goods in the interim? It's now a byword for quality. China is slowly moving up the ladder.

In some instances it's already at the top. It's one of the reasons Trump slapped sanctions on some of their leading tech companies.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I tried fact checking the bold, the government agrees with you and the rest varies so wildly I can't make head nor tails of it .

He's right the UK produces more food than it consumes, but it's a narrow selection of products. So, you'd have ample dairy and meat products and some veg, but the varied diet that we're all used to would cease. That's why we import half of everything we consume, and export a large chunk of what we grow.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think the only country in Europe that could be deemed totally self sufficient in food is France. They have the right soil, land and climate to grow pretty much everything, and do.

Gunk

Guru
Jap crap was routinely used to describe Jap motorcycles where in fact they were far superior and the Brits simply failed to keep up.
Shame really.

Very true, just compare a 1969 Honda CB750 with a 1969 Triumph Bonneville T120, the Honda looks as if it has landed from another planet.

The Pot Noodle mines in Wales can feed the nation.
They are not having our Pot Noodles as well :evil:

cheshirerob

Last September, the sliding door of the shower cubicle exploded. The plumber came to check the size and ordered a new one from our local plumb centre.. The insurance paid up but we are still waiting for the door to arrive from China. Luckily we can use the en suite shower in our bedroom but it is taking rather a long time for the ship to cross those seas.

Supplies from China last year were always swift, at worst 7-10 working days, when we were all in the midst of lockdowns mk 1 & 2. It almost seemed as if they had previously made a surplus supply pre-empting the forthcoming pandemic.
Could your plumber have borrowed an excuse book? Covid, brexit, trump, oumuamua delayed it mate, just because he was too busy with the autumn/winter demand 🤷🏼‍♂️

Top Bottom