Are horses intelligent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
So was mine but i suppose it wasn't that funny.:shy:
never mind..if the humour bus slips past you without stopping, there's always another one to try for 15 minutes later - you can always try to make it stop for you.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I suppose a simple answer is that they're intelligent, but not all that intelligent. There can learn things, like to walk the cart on to the next house or recognise when they're nearly home. But they're only as bright as you need to be to sneak up on a blade of grass.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I suppose a simple answer is that they're intelligent, but not all that intelligent. There can learn things, like to walk the cart on to the next house or recognise when they're nearly home. But they're only as bright as you need to be to sneak up on a blade of grass.
Isn't even sneaking up on a blade of grass beyond the wit of most of them? I thought you had to attach a bag of oats within a couple of inches of their mouths to give them a faint idea about eating.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Who had the other 1/4?
The rule book. He was originally bred for a race stable, but only measured 14h2. He found his way to a local riding school where he was too much for lessons, and my sister needed a horse for jumping, so a deal was struck.

• Anglo-Arabian or Anglo Arab: A Thoroughbred-Arabian cross. Different nations have different standards, but usually Anglo-Arabians must have a minimum of 25% and no more than 75% blood from each breed, which may be done by a first generation cross of an Arabian with a Thoroughbred or by crossing two Anglo-Arabians, or by crossing an Anglo-Arabian on either a purebred Thoroughbred or Arabian. In some nations, partbred Arabians are called "Anglo-Arabians," even if they are not strictly an Arab-Thoroughbred cross
(Wiki)

lutonloony

Über Member
The rule book. He was originally bred for a race stable, but only measured 14h2. He found his way to a local riding school where he was too much for lessons, and my sister needed a horse for jumping, so a deal was struck.

• Anglo-Arabian or Anglo Arab: A Thoroughbred-Arabian cross. Different nations have different standards, but usually Anglo-Arabians must have a minimum of 25% and no more than 75% blood from each breed, which may be done by a first generation cross of an Arabian with a Thoroughbred or by crossing two Anglo-Arabians, or by crossing an Anglo-Arabian on either a purebred Thoroughbred or Arabian. In some nations, partbred Arabians are called "Anglo-Arabians," even if they are not strictly an Arab-Thoroughbred cross
(Wiki)
Phew, thanks for that, I might be able to get some sleep now

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I am intrigued as to what happened and I hope you just aren't pulling the wool over my eyes and joking

Tin Pot

Guru
I love an inquisitive mind.

Is this about intelligence, this thread?

Hmm. Defining intelligence may derail the thread. But understanding how things respond to their environment, and are able to anticipate the future due to past events is interesting at least.

The carrots bit made me laugh though.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Horses wear 'coats' when all their natural insulation in the form of their fur has been clipped off to allow them to work without pouring with sweat. Same thing as when men who shave their heads wear a hat in winter. HTH
Not forgetting the breeds who hail from hot countries and therefore do not need to produce a thick coat of their own to cope with a British winter. There are also the ones who have been bred/inbred by humans and therefore lack the ability to produce a decent coat.

Top Bottom